Value of an MPH to an EM Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ladyfingers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see another thread similar so I thought I would post one:

Does an MPH make an EM physician more valuable? Would it be better to do it as one is completing med school or better to just wait until later (residency or even later)?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to do with your career? An MPH is only as valuable as you make it. It has no value if it's just a piece of paper hanging on your wall. However, if you do international work, then an MPH in global health would benefit you. If you are a director of an EMS agency or county/state health department, then an MPH in biostats or epidemiology would be of benefit.

I was interested in doing some international work as well as volunteer work within the community I live in, maybe with free or reduced fee clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was interested in doing some international work as well as volunteer work within the community I live in, maybe with free or reduced fee clinics.

Clinic work is alot easier/more productive with a primary care residency.

But international work isn't. It's hard for a practicing internist or family practitioner to takes months off at a time to work overseas.

Unless they are in the Armed Forces, then they are forced to be allowed that time off.

In a big enough group, you can take some time off too, but it is very difficult if you are your own practice. In EM, sometimes it can be hard to take months off at a time as well.

I didn't see another thread similar so I thought I would post one:

Does an MPH make an EM physician more valuable? Would it be better to do it as one is completing med school or better to just wait until later (residency or even later)?

Most people don't realize it, but EM is public health (the IOM report not withstanding)! Any preventative medicine we employ must be community based. Our systems are designed around serving our communities (as opposed to individual patients in a practice) and our research is performed within public health statistical frameworks. As an MD who did an MPH in occupational and environmental health (emphasizing environmental toxicology) prior to medical school, I can tell you that the MPH was very helpful not only in the job search (looks good on a CV and got me an assistant professor rank straight out of residency) but also in understanding the systems design, research methodology and community initiatives used during my residency. There is simply no doubt in my mind that I am a better doctor for it. That said, I have no interest in using the degree to perform international relief work nor anything you are angling for, so I can not speak to it's utility there.

BTW - If you look at the guidebook for medical students that EMRA puts out, there is a page or two near the back about the interface between EM and public health!

- H

But international work isn't. It's hard for a practicing internist or family practitioner to takes months off at a time to work overseas.

Too true. We did have a thread a few weeks back about which specialty was better in terms of training for oversees work. I'd still go with FP although like you said, it's hard to peel away from your clinic...

In a big enough group, you can take some time off too, but it is very difficult if you are your own practice. In EM, sometimes it can be hard to take months off at a time as well.

It's much easier in EM to take time off. Very few private practice groups will allow you to take this time off because they don't employ physicians to take your place. I have been offered a job that would let me work 8 months per year, spend 3 months overseas, and have 1 month of vacation time. I have heard of a few others who have signed similar deals. These are almost unheard of among internists and family practitioners.

It's much easier in EM to take time off. Very few private practice groups will allow you to take this time off because they don't employ physicians to take your place. I have been offered a job that would let me work 8 months per year, spend 3 months overseas, and have 1 month of vacation time. I have heard of a few others who have signed similar deals. These are almost unheard of among internists and family practitioners.

Well who would watching the slow rise of the blood pressure, body weight, and HgbA1c while you were gone?

I'm so glad I'm not going to do primary care.