Value of shadowing for a shift or two?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is there any benefit of setting up a couple shadowing shifts at programs that you won't have time to rotate with? I know there is value in seeing the program but I am asking more from an "increase your chances of interviewing" point of view. I am thinking of doing so at a few programs in October. Will it make any difference?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go out of my way to do it, but if you happen to be in the area, it's worth dropping by to take a look... I don't think curious, unintrussive, unannoying smoozing doesn't hurt... I was planning of doing the same thing when I was interviewing, but was told by a certain program that I wasn't allowed to unless it was a formal rotation (weird)... \Ultimately, it's probably more for your personal benefit than any application smooze-factor. During interview season, I found that just hanging around the ED for a couple hours and chatting with whichever resident or attending wasn't getting hammered was more than sufficient to get a good solid impression from the place...

trkd said:
So is there any benefit of setting up a couple shadowing shifts at programs that you won't have time to rotate with? I know there is value in seeing the program but I am asking more from an "increase your chances of interviewing" point of view. I am thinking of doing so at a few programs in October. Will it make any difference?

It might help, but call first. Showing up univited would lead to security problems. Also might be seen as pushy.

Members don't see this ad :)
BKN said:
It might help, but call first. Showing up univited would lead to security problems. Also might be seen as pushy.

Oh, absolutely. I am not a big fan of ED crashing.

Hmm what if you show up as a patient? Then you can learn what it is really like!

leviathan said:
Come in for a runny nose x 3 days; I'm sure they'll get a good kick out of it. :rolleyes:

I can keep coming into my top choice program with some problem until someone does something wrong. I will then threaten to sue if they don't let me into the program. :idea: I think this might work!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

trkd said:
I can keep coming into my top choice program with some problem until someone does something wrong. I will then threaten to sue if they don't let me into the program. :idea: I think this might work!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That would definitely make an interesting 3 or 4 years of residency!