Vanderbilt Admissions Process Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gizzdogg

keeper of the three lions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at Vanderbilt and absolutely loved it. The curriculum's emphasis seems to be a perfect fit for me. I'm thinking about writing a letter of intent but would like to know a little more about how applications are considered by the committee.

I know that after the interview, three faculty members review the entire application including interview assessment, and then these three faculty are "advocates" before a larger committee where a vote is ultimately taken.

Anyone out there have any idea how Vanderbilt's committee works? Are their decisions based largely on a formula, like some other med schools? (MCAT, GPA, Secondary, Interview, etc all plugged into a formula to give an overall score used to assess applicant). Or is it more of a "this one looks good so I'll vote for her" deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gizzdogg
I recently interviewed at Vanderbilt and absolutely loved it. The curriculum's emphasis seems to be a perfect fit for me. I'm thinking about writing a letter of intent but would like to know a little more about how applications are considered by the committee.

I know that after the interview, three faculty members review the entire application including interview assessment, and then these three faculty are "advocates" before a larger committee where a vote is ultimately taken.

Anyone out there have any idea how Vanderbilt's committee works? Are their decisions based largely on a formula, like some other med schools? (MCAT, GPA, Secondary, Interview, etc all plugged into a formula to give an overall score used to assess applicant). Or is it more of a "this one looks good so I'll vote for her" deal.

I am a fourth year at Vandy. A couple classmates of mine work on the admissions committee so I sort of hear things through the grapevine. Basically after your interview, you get an interview report with subjective comments and rating checkboxes - the last part is "how suitable is this applicant for admissions" in which the interviewer gives you a score of 1-5, 1 being marginal and 5 being outstanding.

And then after the interview, 3 members of the admissions committee (can be 3 faculty or 2 faculty and a student on the committee) separately rate your file from different angles. Each one will give you a score on your undergrad record, a score on how good your MCAT is, a score on extracurricular stuff, research, essays, etc etc. After all three finishes rating a file, their ratings goes back to the committee and the adcom convenes every week to make decisions on completed files. From what I heard, usually to get a straight admit, you need overwhelming positives in most categories from all 3 evaulators and the interviewer feedback. Everything else pretty much get put into the "wait list" category, unless the 2/3 evaulations are actually not favorable (relatively rare for people who get the interviews) and/or the interview score is poor, in which the applicant is rejected. So the interview actually does not play THAT big of a role for straight admits, it's really the rest of your file. It can certain do one up lovely if their interview score is bad in the face of otherwise strong application. BUT, if you do end up getting retained on the waitlist when May rolls around, and really want to come there, and 2 out of 3 of your evaluation has been overwhelming positive, then positive interview comments and ratings will go a long way in getting you off the waitlist.

Personally, when I interviewed, I remember my interviewer was looking at the that interview feedback form when I sat in his office at the end of the interview and I saw him circled the "outstanding" box right in front of my face.

Thanks Renovar!

You answered my question perfectly. If you had it to do all over again, would you still choose Vandy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by gizzdogg
Thanks Renovar!

You answered my question perfectly. If you had it to do all over again, would you still choose Vandy?

My answer is a reserved yes. First and foremost, you want to go to a school that gives you the best training and help you become the best doctor you can be. In that regard, Vandy does all of that well. From academic standpoint, Vandy is good enough for me in every aspect.

Let's just say if vandy is not in Nashville, and the people in the school is not so passive-aggressive, my affirmative would be a lot more overwhelming.

Does anyone have the Vandy secondary questions!!!!???
Please

Ill give you the q's with the caveat that the secondary only goes to about 20% of the applicants so you might be wasting your time with these. I dont remember the questions exactly but here are the three more or less:
1. Autobiographical statement of 2000 words (I think) about childhood, motivations in medicine, etc..
2. What research would you like to engage in med school (500 words)
3. Something about a skill you have (500 words). This one Im not so sure about.

If I were you I'd outline 1 and 2 and wait for the specific wording of 3. Hope you get an interview. Good luck.

Originally posted by Renovar
Let's just say if vandy is not in Nashville, and the people in the school is not so passive-aggressive, my affirmative would be a lot more overwhelming.

Just curious, what gave you the feeling that your classmates are "passive-aggressive"?