VANDERBILT Interview!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have been invited for a Vandy interview, when are you scheduling yours? Are you staying the night before? Just wondering....

Members don't see this ad.

mine's on the 19th morning...i'm staying the night before (arriving late at 11 or something though, so no mixer for me :( )

I interviewed there last year, I'd suggest going the night before or staying the night after and going out with some students to see the city. There's quite a bit to do there, I was there for a Friday nite, so it was fun, made me really like the school a lot and was worth the extra time and money it took to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm gonna do mine on the 5th of September, but I will arrive there on the 4th at night. Spumoni, have you arranged to get a student host yet?

Thanks,

-Ice

I scheduled my Vandy interview back to back with my Emory one. I would try to schedule your interviews such that you can spend either the day before or the night after your interview there, so you can see more of the school and the city. You will be living there for four plus years, and as a medical student, you'll be enjoying more of the city's cultural aspects than when you were an undergrad. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

any ideas how to prepare for this interview?

SPUMONI - you're interviewing august 19th? or september? good luck! By the way, how are you guys finding good cheap flights? The best i found so far are from southwest, $77 each way. lemme know....

hey premed2,
i'm interviewing aug 19th. :eek: i'm using frequent flyer miles to get there...on delta. i'm arriving kinda late--not ideal. don't know if i want to bother a student that late...most probably i'll stay at a cheap hotel.

thanks for the good wishes...

Aug 29,..

Bus from Philly to Baltimore, Southwest to Nashville, and vice versa

I think I'll want to come the night before, stay at a hotel, and then hopefully stay with med students the night after.

:clap:

Sept 8th AM from the Triangle Area.

Congrats on the interviews guys.

I'm still waiting to here something definitive from Vandy. Could you tell me if you guys received an email saying they would make a decision about your application in 6-8 wks or perhaps yall are just really strong applicants.

I was wondering if the email means I am on the back-burner.

Thanks.

Originally posted by chuwoods
Congrats on the interviews guys.

I'm still waiting to here something definitive from Vandy. Could you tell me if you guys received an email saying they would make a decision about your application in 6-8 wks or perhaps yall are just really strong applicants.

I was wondering if the email means I am on the back-burner.

Thanks.

I got 2 emails from Vanderbilt. One saying they received my primary AMCAS and another one that was more personal that said "You can expect to hear from us regarding your application four-six weeks from the date of transmission of your AMCAS application to Vanderbilt."

And then in snailmail I received an interview invite.

I wouldnt worry chuwoods, they do all this on a rolling basis I would assume, so there is plenty of time left. Im sure your invite is stuck somewhere in snailmail.

im the same as gleevac. two emails, then the invite via snail mail. goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What time can we leave Vandy on interview day? It seems like the latest interview is at 3pm, meaning everything should be done by 4pm at latest?

I plan on coming the evening before (around 5pm) and leaving at either 5 or 8 pm on interview day. Any suggestions?

gleevec, im leaving at 7 pm just to be sure. getting in around 5 pm the night before. im emailed them about stayin with a student host, but havent heard back yet, have you?

Originally posted by efex101
Tuesday Sep 2...live in the area so no flight he he

congrats on your interview--knew you'd get it ;)

Originally posted by premed2
gleevec, im leaving at 7 pm just to be sure. getting in around 5 pm the night before. im emailed them about stayin with a student host, but havent heard back yet, have you?

Hey premed2,
I talked to the Vandy admissions people and they said you can leave after your interview (or after the tour, depending on whether you have a morning or afternoon interview).

I would plan on leaving Vandy at 3pm, meaning the earliest flight I would book is 5pm to be safe. 7pm sounds solid, I went a bit earlier only because I needed to be back for class the next day.

I emailed the student host people but havent heard anything from them as of yet.

Thanks Spumoni, weeeell they kind of do not take a lot of folks from TN, but ehem, oh well at least I got an interview....

how the heck did u get interview invite so early. does vand have a secondary. are all applicants invited. please enlighten me. thanks. congrats to all!

Originally posted by trojan2004
how the heck did u get interview invite so early. does vand have a secondary. are all applicants invited. please enlighten me. thanks. congrats to all!

Vandy has a secondary (its pretty tough, about on par with UChicago) that only people invited for interviews have to complete. The login information is sent via snail mail.

do you guys think it's better to stay with a student or stay in a hotel? is the nashville airport near the school?

Originally posted by JennyCal
do you guys think it's better to stay with a student or stay in a hotel? is the nashville airport near the school?

I think its almost always better to stay with a student because:

1. cheaper
2. proximity to campus
3. students can be very helpful since they went through the process themselves.

I plan on staying with student hosts wherever I can.

The Nashville airport is not too far away fron Vandy campus...I cannot remember exactly but it is not bad at all.

Originally posted by efex101
The Nashville airport is not too far away fron Vandy campus...I cannot remember exactly but it is not bad at all.

it's about 10 miles. try to get a shuttle to save money. i got a taxi last year and the guy charged me $35. or, try to find a host that can drive u.

I got a hotel room at Guest House Inn with educational discount for $64. Can't hardly beat that.

i'm coming up August 26th for a morning interview if anyone will be there. actually i'm flying up the night before (25th), hopefully I will be staying with a student. save some $. so we only have one interview in all and it is with a single faculty member correct?

Originally posted by brown04
...so we only have one interview in all and it is with a single faculty member correct?

Bump!

I hope this helps someone.....

I interviewed there two years ago and yes, it was a single interview, with a single faculty member. It was not a stressful interview by any means but rather just a chance for them to get to know you.

The nice thing about it is that if you got the interview invite before you completed your secondary, you don't actually have to send in the secondary before the day you interview if you don't have time. Nice for all the procrastinators out there...

For those of you with interviews, I wish you luck.

It's nice not to feel pressured to send back in the secondary ASAP, but the 2000 word essay (I know it's the limit, not the expectation, but still) will be painful to write....

My interview is scheduled on Sept 4. I am taking summer class (UCLA) so I have class on Sept 3 and 5, can't stay any longer in Nashville.

just curious...i wrote my autobiog to be about 2000 words..is that too long (i have no clue what they prefer as far as length). how long are your autobios? thanks!

one last question...for the 3rd question about research...theres no way im comin up with 500 worsds for this...is about 300 good? i mean, i cant describe an entire hypothesis here!

just curious...i wrote my autobiog to be about 2000 words..is that too long (i have no clue what they prefer as far as length). how long are your autobios? thanks!

2000 words is the limit, so as long as it is under that value you are OK.

I have question.

How do people set up arrangements with student hosts? Does the university provide information about this with your interview packets? Please advise.

2000 Words is the limit, not expectation. Usually for other schools, I'll hit the limit pretty easily, but 2000 Words is a lot to talk about myself. Not everyone has a rollercoaster kind of life to talk about, right?

Will I need to rent a car or are there shuttles from the airport to the school?

Originally posted by calebho501
2000 Words is the limit, not expectation. Usually for other schools, I'll hit the limit pretty easily, but 2000 Words is a lot to talk about myself. Not everyone has a rollercoaster kind of life to talk about, right?

About the 2000 word thing...I was thinking about this too, and this seems right--although I agree w/Gleevec--as long as you're under the word limit you'll be ok.

As for mine...it's actually around 2000 but I have a rather strange load of experiences, so go figure...

For people who got an interview:
How long after they received your AMCAS did they invite you for interview?

Thanks.

Originally posted by dana-doc
For people who got an interview:
How long after they received your AMCAS did they invite you for interview?

Thanks.

i got verified something like 7/14....got the interview around 8/8. it's very variable though since some other people on this forum got verified the same day or slightly later and got earlier interviews. good luck!!!

i just got back from vandy. AWESOME school. i fell in love w/the curriculm/faculty/students and atmosphere. interview was also tres laid back/conversational. definitely a top choice for me, if i can get in! only irritating thing = the interviewers don't even READ the painful mammoth secondary before the interview...oh well, at least it's over...and the waiting begins... :)

Originally posted by spumoni620
i just got back from vandy. AWESOME school. i fell in love w/the curriculm/faculty/students and atmosphere. interview was also tres laid back/conversational. definitely a top choice for me, if i can get in! only irritating thing = the interviewers don't even READ the painful mammoth secondary before the interview...oh well, at least it's over...and the waiting begins... :)

good to hear that u enjoyed ur visit. when did u interview? i saw a group of interviewers today walking in the direction from the library to light hall. pretty standard black suits...except one guy who had khackis on and a sports coat.

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
good to hear that u enjoyed ur visit. when did u interview? i saw a group of interviewers today walking in the direction from the library to light hall. pretty standard black suits...except one guy who had khackis on and a sports coat.

i interviewed on the 19th. the ppl at the adm office are so friendly...and then there were three very nice 2nd-years who showed us around & answered questions. then we ate at the cafeteria (not too bad as far as cafeteria food goes! :p )

Originally posted by spumoni620
i interviewed on the 19th. the ppl at the adm office are so friendly...and then there were three very nice 2nd-years who showed us around & answered questions. then we ate at the cafeteria (not too bad as far as cafeteria food goes! :p )

Would you mind posting about your interview in the Interview Feedback section to help future interviewees out? Thanks!

Omigosh!! I interview at Vandy on the 18th of September!!!! I am SOOOOO pumped! I didn't think I had a chance in the world, but I am so grateful! Is anyone else gonna be there on the 17-18th?

:D