Apr 17, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello!

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt gives preference to in-state students? They have a much higher acceptance rate for IS and significantly lower avg stats. Is this skewed because of their own grads? I am a TN applicant for this coming cycle, but I did not attend Vanderbilt for undergrad (went to a NESCAC).

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello!

Does anyone know if Vanderbilt gives preference to in-state students? They have a much higher acceptance rate for IS and significantly lower avg stats. Is this skewed because of their own grads? I am a TN applicant for this coming cycle, but I did not attend Vanderbilt for undergrad (went to a NESCAC).
Yeah, because Vandy grads tend to be low stat! :laugh:

I'm not a Vandy or TN expert, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it probably has an IS preference!!! :) You can rest assured that Vandy grads do not have stats "significantly lower" than average. By the way, I think you'll find that many schools, private as well as public, have IS preferences, both because most receive some state funding (even private) and all realize that IS applicants are more likely to enroll, which helps their yield.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.