Vanderbilt Med Perception for Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begginandpleadin

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an incoming med student for next year and am really interested in matching ENT or another surgical subspecialty. I have the choice of a top 3 school with 100k of debt or Vanderbilt with no debt at graduation.

I wanted to know how program directors and attendings generally view Vanderbilt med's reputation in terms of feeding to ENT residencies. I am wondering whether it is best for me to save the money and attend Vandy or go into debt for a much higher ranked school? From what I had heard on other threads, anything in the T20 is essentially equivalent for matching and depends much more on Step 1 (of which Vanderbilt has a very high average).

I am very interested in pursuing an academia route, with the ultimate goal of surgical faculty preferably on the west coast, if that makes a difference in the choice.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Vanderbilt actually has one of the strongest Otolaryngology Departments in the country. They are also strong in Urology (since you mention potential interest in other surgical subspecialties). If your heart is already set on ENT, Vandy would be a great place to attend because there will be big name faculty with whom you could develop relationships for strong letters of recommendation from big name faculty. I come from a top 10 medical school according to USNWR, but the ENT group here isn't at the top of the field of ENT. Vanderbilt would give you a solid "name-brand" M.D. at a place with solid ENT residents and faculty. A great choice if it's the right fit otherwise. The price is right.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to Vandy for free. This is the definition of a no-brainer. Great school, great ENT department.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried leveraging your acceptance + scholarship at Vandy at the other place you got into? If you tell them what packages you're debating between, the other school is usually amenable to offering more incentive (e.g. housing guarantee)

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried leveraging your acceptance + scholarship at Vandy at the other place you got into? If you tell them what packages you're debating between, the other school is usually amenable to offering more incentive (e.g. housing guarantee)

Great idea! Thanks :)

No brainer. Vandy. Great school in a great city

Status
Not open for further replies.