Vanderbilt Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

shamthis

Hi everyone,

There is something that really piques my curiosity. Vanderbilt. I was fortunate enough to be granted a secondary, but my excitement was tempered when I learned (supposedly) everyone who applies gets a secondary.

Is this true? My friend who is a third year at Georgetown told me this is huge, and that I should expect an interview offer, since everyone who gets a secondary gets an interview invitation too. I dismissed her enthusiasm for the assumption that the Vanderbilt system was revised since 99.

Then I find out I can check my status online (coool). So I check it, and I see prompts for "AMCAS received", "Secondary received", "Interview confirmed", "Interview scheduled", "Interviewer". Does this mean what I think it does? Will I be visiting Nashville?

Gosh, I hope so. Anyone know?

ST

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to say this, but everyone who gets a secondary does NOT get an interview. I got a secondary really early, but I wasn't going to fill it out. Then I got a letter saying that they rejected me. :rolleyes:

I know, Wahoo, but when you check your status, what does it say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by shamthis
I know, Wahoo, but when you check your status, what does it say?

I have all those prompts too, but after the one where it lists your AMCAS receipt date, they're all blank.

I figured as much. Thanks for the help! They got my stuff 7/24, and its 8/18. I had a glimmer of hope only because it has been so long since I submitted my app and payment, and I saw that status page. Oh well, the exciting wait goes on :)

I was curious if you had to pay the secondary app fee to get an interview for vandy. From what i understood is that thye grant interviews off the primary application. THanks

Originally posted by samyjay
I was curious if you had to pay the secondary app fee to get an interview for vandy. From what i understood is that thye grant interviews off the primary application. THanks

Hahaha....yeah, they do grant interviews based on the primary application, but trust me, they expect you to fork over the secondary fee and the secondary (with all those essays) before your interview.

Hey Shamthis--did you get the official invitation to complete the secondary? They send one email at first, which says that all applicants are invited to complete the secondary, which can then be submitted once they have your final AMCAS. I think this is the email that Wahoo was referring to? Correct me if I'm mistaken, Wahoo. But not everyone gets to submit it--if you pass their initial screen, then they will send another email telling you to submit your secondary. As far as I know, if you get to this second stage, then you should automatically get an interview--there are lots of people who are invited to interview w/out their secondary having even been seen! I could be wrong about that, but they do screen out a lot of people just based on AMCAS. Check out the thread "Rejected already" or something like that for the conversation about Vandy. Congrats!:clap:

I talked to the admissions office at Vandy last week and they confirmed that the screening for interviews is done based on the AMCAS application only. They don't even look at your secondary before they decide to offer an interview or reject you. If they offer an interview then they will look at the secondary. So, you don't really even have to do the secondary until you receive an interview invitation.

So let me get this straight...you can be granted an interview without sending in the secondary? Because i wanst even going to do their secondary, but if they invite me to interview then i probably would. Is the interview invitation via email or regular mail?