Vanderbilt versus Florida (Gainesville)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaBound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying to these programs next year and want to hear what people thought about them on the interview trail this year.

What are the staff like?

What are the facilities like?

Are the residents happy?

How are the didactics?

What benefits do they have (I hear Vanderbilt pays for all your moving expenses; is that true?).

Want honest opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I can speak for Vanderbilt--

Staff are, for the most part, quite good. I met a couple that were *difficult* to get along with, but there were plenty that could teach very well. Always accessible. Actually have a monitoring system whereby they can view the vitals and other parameters in real-time, in addition to cameras in each room. Heard stories that attendings occasionally walk into a room and address a problem before the resident is aware what is happening.

Facilities are some of the nicest you will see. Computerized charting in every OR, new machines, basically money is thrown around like it's going out of style. Pre-Ops are electronic, mostly done at clinic by NPs.

Residents seemed quite happy. I only met one that would have chosen differently, and I met a couple dozen.

Didactics are heavy. Pretty much daily.

Vandy doesn't pay for all your moving expenses, but you do get $1500 reimbursement. You also get a computer, and a pretty healthy book fund.

Just beware of catching the dreaded "Vanderbilt Syndrome"

Members don't see this ad :)