Vanderbilt vs UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureopht

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about these programs except for the info/vibes I got from current residents and faculty at each of these places.

Basically this is how I felt:

UCSD - 3 residents/yr, get good CE #s from what I could gather, great surgical training, very busy, perhaps some odd faculty members (quirkyness), new retina hire who has big research $$, beautiful location, but gets a malignant rep (unsure as to why?)

Vanderbilt - 5 residents/yr, lost 2 residents 2 years ago (1 switched to radiology and the other left medicine altogether), chairman trained at Wilmer (Sternberg) and is really building the program, only negative I saw was the lack of cornea faculty and the residents who left recently

Either location is ideal for me, but I wanted to see what other people thought about each program -- either current residents who interviewed there in the past, fellow applicants who also saw these programs this year, or current residents themselves. Either program won't be my #1 choice, but which one should be ranked higher? Would appreciate feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both places and my overall feeling was Vandy>UCSD. It might have just been me, but I didn't get the greatest vibe from UCSD.

I'm considering retina and it seems that Vandy has better fellowship placement. UCSD does have that retina research center, but most of the residents seem to go into either gen practice or cornea for some reason.

Both are in good locations, but I think nashville is much more affordable than san diego.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts...

I interviewed at both places and my overall feeling was Vandy>UCSD. It might have just been me, but I didn't get the greatest vibe from UCSD.

I'm considering retina and it seems that Vandy has better fellowship placement. UCSD does have that retina research center, but most of the residents seem to go into either gen practice or cornea for some reason.

Both are in good locations, but I think nashville is much more affordable than san diego.

I'm interested in hearing others thoughts...

macro, thanks for your comments. I too am thinking retina and had a somewhat better vibe at Vandy too. what did you think about the 2 residents who left 2 years ago? do you think it points to the program causing them to leave or just the residents' circumstances?

Members don't see this ad :)
macro, thanks for your comments. I too am thinking retina and had a somewhat better vibe at Vandy too. what did you think about the 2 residents who left 2 years ago? do you think it points to the program causing them to leave or just the residents' circumstances?

I think it just points to the residents' circumstances...i can think of a couple of other "top" programs where residents have left...but again, it was a reflection of the resident's commitment to ophthalmology rather than a deficiency in the program...just as an example, a resident left JSEI for a ortho spot a few years back...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=245553&highlight=jsei

I also interviewed at UCSD and am unclear why it gets a "malignant" rep. I heard that word used by a couple of applicants on the trail, but noone seems to know why. Does anyone have more info as to why its "malignant" or as to what exactly they heard?

Just wanted to add something one of my classmates pointed out...I completely forgot about this...but UCSD does not currently have a wet lab...

Just wanted to add something one of my classmates pointed out...I completely forgot about this...but UCSD does not currently have a wet lab...

True, but according to the PD and the residents who I emailed after the interview, the wet lab will soon be available in a few months (and would obviously be there once we started).

Does anyone know or remember the surgical numbers at Vandy? I sorta remember 130s for cataracts from one of the residents, but my memory is kinda hazy from interview day. Thanks!