Vanderbilt (w/ scholarship) vs Baylor vs UMichigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanboy101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Vanderbilt. Equitable prestige with less debt. Great opportunities there. You are very lucky to get a scholarship there

Reactions: 1 user
From what I’ve been told all of Michigan scholarships are disbursed, if you haven’t received your aid estimate yet that is what would include any financial aid you might get.

It looks like a Vanderbilt is the smart choice here, similar rank/prestige to Michigan and much cheaper.

I can only comment on your last point about Michigan, but their pass fail system is completely unranked the first year, there are rankings so you know where you stand but they are never distributed in any capacity to anyone. AOA is determined by your clinical grades. As far as surgical specialties they are pretty much good in everything, Top 10 residencies in many surgical specialties ophthalmology, urology, plastic surgery, general surgery, otolaryngology, and even more if you include non-surg specialties Such as internal medicine, anesthesia, rad onc. The hospital is ranked 5th in the nation.

However, I think it is important to note that all of the schools are top 20 schools and I don’t think going to one would significantly change your chances. The only advantage I could see of going to Michigan over Vanderbilt would be you might have more time to explore other options at Michigan due to the increased time for electives if you were tween multiple subspecialties. And your exposure to those would be pretty good due to the quality of the programs. However I don’t think this is a good enough reason to give up such a great scholarship and a top 20 school, I just enjoy talking about Michigan (as might be apparent, it’s been my dream school for forever) and wanted to provide you with more information.

Hopefully someone else can chime in that knows a bunch about the other schools and tell you about their strong points.

Congratulations on having so many amazing options! In the end, my vote for you is Vanderbilt. However listing total COA for 4 years for each school could be helpful as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
From what I’ve been told all of Michigan scholarships are disbursed, if you haven’t received your aid estimate yet that is what would include any financial aid you might get.

It looks like a Vanderbilt is the smart choice here, similar rank/prestige to Michigan and much cheaper.

I can only comment on your last point about Michigan, but their pass fail system is completely unranked the first year, there are rankings so you know where you stand but they are never distributed in any capacity to anyone. AOA is determined by your clinical grades. As far as surgical specialties they are pretty much good in everything, Top 10 residencies in many surgical specialties ophthalmology, urology, plastic surgery, general surgery, otolaryngology, and even more if you include non-surg specialties Such as internal medicine, anesthesia, rad onc. The hospital is ranked 5th in the nation.

However, I think it is important to note that all of the schools are top 20 schools and I don’t think going to one would significantly change your chances. The only advantage I could see of going to Michigan over at Vanderbilt would be you might have more time to explore other options at Michigan due to the increased time for electives if you between multiple subspecialties. And your exposure to those would be pretty good due to the quality of the programs. However I don’t think this is a good enough reason to give up such a great scholarship at a top 20 school, I just enjoy talking about Michigan and wanted to provide you with more information. However, I think it is important to note that all of the schools are top 20 schools and I don’t think going to one would significantly change your chances. The only advantage I could see of going to Michigan over Vanderbilt would be you might have more time to explore other options at Michigan due to the increased time for electives if you were tween multiple subspecialties. And your exposure to those would be pretty good due to the quality of the programs. However I don’t think this is a good enough reason to give up such a great scholarship and a top 20 school, I just enjoy talking about Michigan (as might be apparent, it’s been my dream school for forever) and wanted to provide you with more information.

Hopefully someone else can chime in that knows a bunch about the other schools and tell you about their strong points.

Congratulations on having so many amazing options! In the end, my vote for you is Vanderbilt. However listing total COA for 4 years for each school could be helpful as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for the thorough discussion about Michigan. Do you think that the hospital and clinical training at Michigan would be appreciably better than those in Nashville (esp. for what you discussed regarding surgery)?

Honestly, it would be tough to say just because I don't know that much about Vanderbilt. However, they have a great hospital system and are a top 20 med school so honestly I don't think any other school would be "appreciably better". I think this decision should primarily come down to personal preference (what does one school offer you that others don't, especially outside of the classroom imo since they are all highly ranked) and fiances. All of these schools will give you an amazing education and opportunities.