Vanderbilt??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one know anything about Vanderbilt Med?
What's nashville like??

Members don't see this ad.

I can't tell you much about the medical school other than it is very respected, especially in the south. I would say it is right up there with Duke here in the south. Vanderbilt hospital is pretty awesome. They're constantly adding on to it (right now they're adding a 7 ot 8 story building, but I don't know what it is), and the VA hospital is connected to it by a catwalk. I think Vanderbilt is also associated with St. Thomas hospital and maybe Centennial and Baptist hospitals too, but don't quote me on that.

I really like Nashville as a city. It is NOTHING like Memphis. Even though they are in the same state, they are completely opposite. I would say the best thing (for me at least, maybe not for you) is that nashville is a very religious city. It is also called the Athens of the South because of so many colleges and universities in and around the city. It's also spread out quite a bit, and traffic can be pretty bad sometimes. Overall, though, the city would be very nice live in.

thanks for the heads up Hallm!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I liked Vanderbilt a lot last year when I interviewed there. The students seemed really happy, they had a very good USMLE board score average (maybe the highest in the country?) and I liked the Nashville area.

Nashville is ok if you like the country, there is not much to do and very very little diversity. In the bible belt.

Originally posted by Hallm_7
Vanderbilt hospital is pretty awesome. They're constantly adding on to it (right now they're adding a 7 ot 8 story building, but I don't know what it is)

I believe the new building is the new children's hospital. Medical Research Building #3 is also under construction.

When I was there for Second-Look Weekend, I was told by the med students that Vandy was tops in student satisfaction and tops on the USMLE board exams.

Originally posted by exigente chica
Nashville is ok if you like the country, there is not much to do and very very little diversity. In the bible belt.
Oh, come on. You can be bored in Nashville? Go to the Grand "Ole" Opry. :D

I interviewed at Vanderbilt this past year, and I felt like it was not a school I would be completely happy attending. To me, it seemed like the school and surrounding city were both extremely nondiverse, very white, and very conservative. Almost all of the students I saw there were white (most were also blonde), except for a token asian or indian student here or there. In fact, the only african american people I saw there were working in the cafeteria! I felt like the tour guides were mostly there on their parents' money, and I also got the feeling they were lying to us about how competitive it was there.

As for the school itself, I don't doubt that it's a great school. They have good facilities, a brand new (ish?) library, and great instructors. They do make the claim that Vanderbilt med is ranked number one for student satisfaction. I think you just have to be a certain type of person to be completely satisfied there, and I didn't feel I could have been that person.

Sorry if there are Vandy med students here who disagree with my assessment of the school....I'm just stating my impressions!

you took the words right out of my mouth sprockette:laugh:

Vanderbilt is VERY respected in the south. Lots of research goes on there, as well as any complicate procedure from 6 surrounding states. From my family that either teaches or are alum, however, you really have to be a certain type of person to enjoy the school; wealthy, white and male. (Sorry Commodores, I really do want to go there)

But I very much want to go to Vandy even though I'm Puerto Rican woman because Nashville is SUCH a great place to live!

Okay, all joking aside, it isn't about country music, but it is about music there. Lots of independant new rock (as well as country) and huge blues scene. It's also a HUGE recording mecca for rock as well as country. They are currently building a new performance hall that will be the most accoustically perfect building in the world (until a better one comes along :)) There is theater, music, museums, nightlife, lots of cool hole in the wall places. You gt 4 GORGEOUS well defined seasons. Fall in TN is the best. Beautiful. Your close enough to country that you can be there in 1/2 hour, but you're in the city. I personally don't think traffic is bad at all, especially considering the neighbor to the south, Atlanta :). It's also a very family oriented city if you are looking for that kind of thing. Lots cheap, fun activities for children. Oh, and one of my personal favorites, it's the most polite city in the country. There was this thing a couple of years ago where some people went around doing a study where they went to a bunch of U.S. cities and did things like dropped their wallets, or walked on crutches and couldn't get in a door, or asked for directions, and Nashville was the city where everyone wanted to help. It's EXTREMELY friendly there. You're also within 5 hours of Chicago, St. Louis, and Atlanta for a quick weekend getaway.

I love Nashville, if that isn't already obvious, and would be happy to answer any questions you have about it :)

Originally posted by tangeefox
however, you really have to be a certain type of person to enjoy the school; wealthy, white and male.

so i guess the 50% of the med school student body that is female are all depressed and hate it there? :confused:

I am from memphis originally and am going to be a senior at Vanderbilt next year(yes I am a white male). They are different cities, but both are very fun. I have loved my 3 years so far at Vandy. If you think Nashville is just country music, then you don't get out much or don't know where to go. Several friends of mine have gone on to Vandy Med, a VERY well respected school, especially in the south. They are scheduled to complete a new children's hospital in fall 2003. The women here are gorgeous and the night life is great. There are non-country bars and events every night for college-aged kids and med schoolers. Vandy kinda sucks in sports, but you get to see great teams from the SEC every year in every sport. Vandy got a new chancellor away from Brown a few years ago and since he has been here I know the undergrad is getting better/more competitive and I would assume so for grad schools . . . Vandy is a hot school now. As far as Vandy med goes, i think that preclinic years may be a little dry, but you have many MANY great opportunities for research and the clinical years are very strong. Yes, there are some religious people here, i'd say about 25-30% of the campus is very religious(i.e. no drinkin, no sex, church 2+ times a week). But, they mostly keep to themselves. If you like that style you will find plently of people like you, if you aren't that style you will find plently of people like you. All in all, Vandy is a little country club, the Vanderbubble as it is called, but the education you can get is amazing and the campus is beautiful. Go Dores! If you have questions PM me or post a reply.

QUOTE]so i guess the 50% of the med school student body that is female are all depressed and hate it there? [/QUOTE]

From a current white, male, vandy student:
QUOTE]Originally posted by Wrongway
...The women here are gorgeous ... [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's respect. They may not be miserable, but if they don't fit the mold, they probably aren't happy :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy certainly is well respected and I really liked Nashville for the year that I was there at Vandy undergrad.

The women are definitely hot.

Tangeefox, how fast do you drive if you think Chicago is 5 hours away from Nashville?

Vandy is a very good school. They have great facilities, teachers, researchers, and physicians.

However, Nashville is a very tragic city, IMHO.
The city is very conservative, white, and racist. I grew up an 1.5 hours away from Nashville, so I know this for a fact.

If Vandy were in Chicago, Washington, DC or even St. Louis, then it would be a kick *ss school. But Nashville is lacking in the better socials aspects of life.

oh man - i think you guys have successfully convinced me not to fill out the vandy app. 1 less to do ...

cheers
-jot

hell yeah!

screw Vande!!!

i think you had it right about that essay all along mr.h -- man i hope this isn't the best pr that vandy can muster:D

I don't understand some of the logic going on here. You say because Nashville is not very diverse then it's racist? It may not be as diverse as NYC or Chicago or LA, but that does not mean there is a racial problem in the city. Nashville is more diverse in some ways than these cities. How many of these cities have a good number of conservative/religious people in them? Isn't that part of diversity too? I live in KY, go to school in TN, and spent quite a bit of time in Nashville. I have never seen anything that resembles racism in my time there. I'm sure it's out there, but it's there in every city in every part of the country. Just because it's in the South don't write it off for being a bad place socially.

Then again, if people from other parts of the country don't apply there, then that gives all of us who know how great of a city Nashville is and how great of a school Vandy is a better chance of getting in. :D ;) :D

i have been having these arguments with myself for sometime. i'm going to be going to vandy med in the fall, and i can't say that i'm not at all concerned about the diversity and racial mix of the city. the class itself struck me as very diverse but the city is definately white. and as far as racism...if you've studied any civil rights, you would know that nashville was a hotbed of activity during the civil rights movement. vanderbilt was pretty reluctant to integrate adn the downtown area was very unfriendly to blacks. this is all 35 years ago, and never having lived in nashville, i can't say that things haven't changed...but it's a thought that crosses your mind, and one that you could avoid by going to say new england or san fran or more liberal places. i must say that i didn't know how well respected vanderbilt was when i applied. i never knew anything about it, but when i tell people i'm going there, almost everyone has been impressed. a year ago, if someone had told me they were going there, i would have been happy for them, but far from impressed. anyway, the people there did seem happy, and the school seemed incredibly receptive to what the students have to say...more so then other places i interviewed.

i applied there randomly, and of the schools i got into, it seemed to be the best, so i ran with it. hopefully it'll be a good four years. my recommendation, it's a good school, worth looking at, but if it's not for you, then it's not for you...

Its true that Vandy is somewhat undiversified and conservative.

However, the people griping about it probably dont realize that many of the schools htey are applying to are similar.

For example, I know that exigente is thinking about Case Western. Cleveland is no mecca of diversity and there are plenty of religious conservative folks who live there as well. So I dont understand why you are bashing Nashville so much when Cleveland really isnt that different?

Some of you hold Nashville up to a standard that only LA, NYC, San Fran, Chicago, and Miami could meet. So I'm assuming that none of you are applyhing to any schools in cities besides those? Somehow I doubt it.

i think i'd go to vandy just to find myself a corn-fed woman... ahh.. those southern girls...
p

Very true Macgyver, I agree totally. There are a number of schools in less than desirable areas:mad: CASE is one of them. I realize that often time great schools are just plooped down in ill places, but i realized that as much as I am weary about living in the cold midwest:rolleyes: I can't ignore the fact that Case has a great program and alot of offer.
I am one of those people who can make it anywhere, so it's ok. But for many it will be hard to be happy in certain places. There is a ballroom team, and lots of salsa clubs at Case, so I will be fine:love: