• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

JBlue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I called Vandy today to ask about doing an away rotation there this fall and was told that they are undergoing a curriculum change and are not accepting any visiting students this year. I know they don't take a lot of visiting students normally but none for the entire year seems kind of strange. Has anyone else contacted them and heard anything about this?

lucky_deadman

Working Class Hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Southeast USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I called Vandy today to ask about doing an away rotation there this fall and was told that they are undergoing a curriculum change and are not accepting any visiting students this year. I know they don't take a lot of visiting students normally but none for the entire year seems kind of strange. Has anyone else contacted them and heard anything about this?

SSDY. They told us that same thing this past year. I even heard about someone having an away being set up only to have Vandy cancel it just a couple weeks prior to its start.

But there are plenty of other great places to do aways at. PM if you would like more details about any or all of the above.

D

deleted109597

Blame the kids at Meharry for taking all of the spots.

But yes, we heard this last year as well.

About the Ads

SolidGold

Florida winters are the best!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2002
Tampa, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I heard it too, and I didn't end up doing one there. Oh well...

DOCOFMED07

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status (Visible)

Don't hate on the Vandy-Meharry alliance! And how rude to call our fellow colleague kids!

lucky_deadman

Working Class Hero
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
Southeast USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Don't hate on the Vandy-Meharry alliance! And how rude to call our fellow colleague kids!

WOW!! Seems we hit a nerve and this is a touchy subject. From your response I'm saying you go to Vandy, with a differential to include Meharry.

BTW: Not hating on the alliance. Just calling 'em like we see 'em. And was told by sources from both schools this is the reason.

DOCOFMED07

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
Not hating. And I call everyone kids. Not as a slight, but because I don't have anything better to call them.

Okay, understandable! Yeah, may have a few friends at Meharry. How'd you guess...? LOL. I hope my tone did not seem angry! It was more like a "tsk, tsk, tsk, now you know better" kinda tone! Thanks!

coachB

full fledged member
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2003
The Beach
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
BTW: Not hating on the alliance. Just calling 'em like we see 'em. And was told by sources from both schools this is the reason.

doubt this is the main reason. with curriculum changes at vandy, there are now essentially two fewer months for vandy students to do the emergency medicine rotation (which is a required 4th year rotation for all). so you're basically talking about 24-30 fewer spots (assuming 12-15 students/month). i guess that pretty much squeezes out the visitors.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.