Vandy not accepting visiting students for EM rotation this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JBlue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I called Vandy today to ask about doing an away rotation there this fall and was told that they are undergoing a curriculum change and are not accepting any visiting students this year. I know they don't take a lot of visiting students normally but none for the entire year seems kind of strange. Has anyone else contacted them and heard anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

I called Vandy today to ask about doing an away rotation there this fall and was told that they are undergoing a curriculum change and are not accepting any visiting students this year. I know they don't take a lot of visiting students normally but none for the entire year seems kind of strange. Has anyone else contacted them and heard anything about this?

SSDY. They told us that same thing this past year. I even heard about someone having an away being set up only to have Vandy cancel it just a couple weeks prior to its start.

But there are plenty of other great places to do aways at. PM if you would like more details about any or all of the above.

Blame the kids at Meharry for taking all of the spots.

But yes, we heard this last year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard it too, and I didn't end up doing one there. Oh well...

Don't hate on the Vandy-Meharry alliance! And how rude to call our fellow colleague kids!

Don't hate on the Vandy-Meharry alliance! And how rude to call our fellow colleague kids!

WOW!! Seems we hit a nerve and this is a touchy subject. From your response I'm saying you go to Vandy, with a differential to include Meharry.

BTW: Not hating on the alliance. Just calling 'em like we see 'em. And was told by sources from both schools this is the reason.

Not hating. And I call everyone kids. Not as a slight, but because I don't have anything better to call them.

Not hating. And I call everyone kids. Not as a slight, but because I don't have anything better to call them.

Okay, understandable! Yeah, may have a few friends at Meharry. How'd you guess...? LOL. I hope my tone did not seem angry! It was more like a "tsk, tsk, tsk, now you know better" kinda tone! Thanks!

BTW: Not hating on the alliance. Just calling 'em like we see 'em. And was told by sources from both schools this is the reason.

doubt this is the main reason. with curriculum changes at vandy, there are now essentially two fewer months for vandy students to do the emergency medicine rotation (which is a required 4th year rotation for all). so you're basically talking about 24-30 fewer spots (assuming 12-15 students/month). i guess that pretty much squeezes out the visitors.