USMLE varenicline vs bupropion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPettans

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any difference between varenicline ("chantix" or "champix") and bupropion ?

Members don't see this ad.

Bupropion is mainly used to treat mild depression, with a positive side effect of reduce tobacco cravings.
Vareniciline has a sole purpose of reducing cravings.

Note: I used to take Bupropion. I personally saw no reduction in my cravings for tobacco. Never tried Chantix though.

Last edited:
Not sure what you are asking.
They are two entirely different drugs with different MOAs:
Bupropion increases dopamine & norepinephrine at the synaptic jn.
Varenicline is a partial agonist of nicotinic receptors in the CNS.

From the patterns I have seen on UWorld...

Varenicline is the main drug used for smoking cessation, remember it as a smoker is trying to stay "very clean" (Q8745). It's just one question in the entire bank, so it's easy to remember when that vignette comes up.

There are a handful of questions with Buproprion. It is usually a second line drug. An SSRI is tried on the patient, they complain of sexual dysfunction, which is a common side effect (Q706). Patient is switched to buproprion and it is working well. Physician should be careful of classic side effect of seizures (Q704).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everybody, it is what I thought. Just was confused by a book talking about both of them as if they were the same thing.

You just need to know bupropion can cause seizures (so not to give in patients with eating disorders) and does not cause sexual dysfunction. The MOAs have been mentioned as per transposony above.

Bupropion and Chantix are both FDA approved for smoking cessation, but bupropion also carries the FDA approved use with depression. When bupropion had brand names it was welbutrin when used for depression, Zyban when used for smoking cessation - but it was the same medication. The main difference is the mechanism of action, bupropion sits in a class of its own.

Reactions: 1 users
Bupropion and Chantix are both FDA approved for smoking cessation, but bupropion also carries the FDA approved use with depression. When bupropion had brand names it was welbutrin when used for depression, Zyban when used for smoking cessation - but it was the same medication. The main difference is the mechanism of action, bupropion sits in a class of its own.

Styphon makes a good point about this. Varenicline should not be used in patients with neuropsychiatric instability (e.g., depression). And coincidentally I know someone who was taking varenicline and complained of really vivid/wild dreams.

Reactions: 1 user