Varioius MCAT Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hardbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do you get to use the restroom during a ten minute break?

2. Do you get to bring water and/or candy bar in to the test?

3. Can you wear a watch to the test?

4. Is there an extra "experimental section" on the MCAT that is not part of the grade you recieve? If so, do they tell you which section it is? Is it the last section or is it in the middle?

Members don't see this ad.

Hardbody said:
1. Do you get to use the restroom during a ten minute break?

2. Do you get to bring water and/or candy bar in to the test?

3. Can you wear a watch to the test?

4. Is there an extra "experimental section" on the MCAT that is not part of the grade you recieve? If so, do they tell you which section it is? Is it the last section or is it in the middle?

Yes!

Yes.

Yes, but some proctors will take it away if it is digital.

Yes and no you won't know which one it is or where it is.

AWhitehair said:
Yes, but some proctors will take it away if it is digital.

No they won't, because it's allowed in the rules. Of course, they might SAY that they will take it away. Then you have two choices
a) act like a reasonable person and show them the AAMC guidelines that explicitly allow a digital watch

and if that doesn't work

b) finger them and call AAMC on your cell phone, not once leaving the testing site (keep fingering them until you get an AAMC spokesperson.. and get them to hear the rules that they're supposed to enforce... then when the test finishes, smash their face in.. preferably with something hard) :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
trozman said:
No they won't, because it's allowed in the rules. Of course, they might SAY that they will take it away. Then you have two choices
a) act like a reasonable person and show them the AAMC guidelines that explicitly allow a digital watch

and if that doesn't work

b) finger them and call AAMC on your cell phone, not once leaving the testing site (keep fingering them until you get an AAMC spokesperson.. and get them to hear the rules that they're supposed to enforce... then when the test finishes, smash their face in.. preferably with something hard) :laugh:
It depends on your proctor...you will see! When I took it in April and voided our proctor was so strict that not only could you not have digital watches, but you HAD to wear them on your wrist. You were not allowed to keep them on the desk in front of you. I don't know if this is a general rule, but she read it from the manual she had with her that morning??

Anyone else?

1. Do you get to use the restroom during a ten minute break? Yes

2. Do you get to bring water and/or candy bar in to the test? We were allowed to bring it in the room but not allowed to have it with us. No drinking or eating during the test. Not fair because I heard a lot of other places let you drink water.

3. Can you wear a watch to the test? Yes. Didn't have any issues arise.

4. Is there an extra "experimental section" on the MCAT that is not part of the grade you recieve? If so, do they tell you which section it is? Is it the last section or is it in the middle? My mcat teacher says that there are experimental questions. We don't know which are or where they are located, unfortunately.

AWhitehair said:
It depends on your proctor...you will see! When I took it in April and voided our proctor was so strict that not only could you not have digital watches, but you HAD to wear them on your wrist. You were not allowed to keep them on the desk in front of you. I don't know if this is a general rule, but she read it from the manual she had with her that morning??

Anyone else?

In the 2006 MCAT Essentials (http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatessentials2006.pdf), it says, and I quote
A wrist watch to help pace yourself during the test. You may not set watch alarms or other timing devices to go off during the test since this would be disturbing to others. Watches cannot have advanced functions such as calculators or cameras. No other timing devices will be allowed.

As they say, the exception proves the rule. If you cannot have a watch with advanced functions such as calculators and cameras, then you can have a digital watch WITHOUT said functions. So print out that document and bring it with you if you're worried.

And honestly, if the proctor is being an ass, stand your ground. There will be more than one person who has a digital watch and will be pissed off to have to remove it without reason... if you delay the test, it'll be the proctor's butt on the fire (and justifiably so).

gujuDoc said:
I actually agree with policy against drinking and eating during the test because it is extremely distracting. Luckily I had strict good proctors.

Unfortunately the no food no drink rule isn't the same across the country. My friends in other states were given much more leeway when it came to what they were allowed to have on their desk or even next to them on the floor.

My friend also saw a guy walk in with a digital timer taped to his wrist and the proctor let it go. :rolleyes: I would have loved to have my countdown timer with me too!