SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Vascular Studies

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by IMDoc607, Sep 29, 2014.

  1. IMDoc607

    IMDoc607 7+ Year Member

    Nov 22, 2009
    If I wanted to start reading vascular studies after I get my RPVI certification, what is needed to do this? Obviously, you would need the ultrasound machine and a tech. The patient base is there through a connection. Do you need to get an outpatient office accredited to do the testing? I am talking about simple carotids, abdominal ultrasounds, etc.

  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gutonc

    gutonc No Meat, No Treat Administrator Physician PhD 10+ Year Member

    Mar 6, 2005
    A fibrotic stroma
    Do you want to just read them, or do you want to get paid to read them? Two different questions. Critical distinction.
  4. IMDoc607

    IMDoc607 7+ Year Member

    Nov 22, 2009
    Well I have a family friend who has a large general medicine practice that has a large cardiology/vascular base. We were thinking of opening up a vascular section of the practice. So I/we want to get paid to read them.
  5. Myostatin

    Myostatin Member 10+ Year Member

    May 29, 2003
    You might have to check with individual insurers but as far as I'm aware you don't need specific credentialing for most insurers to read vascular studies (yet). You don't really even need RPVI.
  6. Trifling Jester

    Trifling Jester Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Jun 22, 2003
    The Big Easy
    I don't think you need any certification. I know of FP's who read echos out in the boonies. As long as you own the machines and the office you can do what you want.
  7. hotshotdoc

    hotshotdoc 2+ Year Member

    Oct 28, 2012
    Its ridiculous how FPs and internists are allowed to read echos. Board certified or eligible cardiologists only should be reading echos.

Share This Page