Vascular Studies

Discussion in 'Cardiology' started by IMDoc607, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. IMDoc607

IMDoc607 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If I wanted to start reading vascular studies after I get my RPVI certification, what is needed to do this? Obviously, you would need the ultrasound machine and a tech. The patient base is there through a connection. Do you need to get an outpatient office accredited to do the testing? I am talking about simple carotids, abdominal ultrasounds, etc.

Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gutonc

gutonc No Meat, No Treat SDN Administrator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Verified
    Physician
    Verified
    PhD
    Do you want to just read them, or do you want to get paid to read them? Two different questions. Critical distinction.

4. IMDoc607

IMDoc607 7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Well I have a family friend who has a large general medicine practice that has a large cardiology/vascular base. We were thinking of opening up a vascular section of the practice. So I/we want to get paid to read them.

5. Myostatin

Myostatin Member 10+ Year Member

You might have to check with individual insurers but as far as I'm aware you don't need specific credentialing for most insurers to read vascular studies (yet). You don't really even need RPVI.

6. Trifling Jester

Trifling Jester Senior Member 10+ Year Member

I don't think you need any certification. I know of FP's who read echos out in the boonies. As long as you own the machines and the office you can do what you want.

7. hotshotdoc

hotshotdoc 2+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Its ridiculous how FPs and internists are allowed to read echos. Board certified or eligible cardiologists only should be reading echos.

About the ads