vascular surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dipty

Reaction score
Hello, I am an IMG, YOG >10yrs, avarage score in steps. Currently I do shadowing with a vascular surgeon and I felt interested to pursue vascular surgery residency though my whole carrier was as a general practitioner. I know it must be difficult to get residency in any specialty especially vascular surgery. Does anyone have any practical experience on it??? Actually I lost my Interest in Internal medicine because as internist you have huge knowledge in medicine but most often you can't handle it; eg: it you get a pt of stroke you have to end up with calling neurologist. I might be wrong. Please help me to find out real pathway, as i am still dreaming as a vascular surgeon. What is the lifestyle of vascular surgery? and I have 2 kids. With considering everything Please advice me to make out right decision.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you actively working as an internist in the US? If the answer is no, based on your other details it is not reasonable to expect to match into vascular surgery. Integrated vascular surgery is very competitive and even if you are a current internist you will likely not get in. If you were to pursue a path your best chance would be for general surgery followed by vascular fellowship.

Lifestyle of vascular surgery is usually pretty rough. Usually a busy service, lots of call, lots of BS consults.

I encourage you to read these threads (amongst others within this forum) for a bit more info on vascular surgery lifestyle:

Reactions: 1 users
You won't get in man, just stick with what you are doing right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello

I am a 2020 graduate from Saskatchewan medical school in Canada. So, I am a Canadian graduate.

I did not match in CaRMS 2020 in Vascular surgery. I am really interested in Vasc Surg. Before immigration to Canada in 2012, I did medicine before in EGYPT and graduated in 2002 and trained as a vascular surgeon in a 3 years residency training program in Egypt.

the reason I did medicine again in Canada is to make myself a Canadian medical Graduate.

do I have a chance to match in Vasc surg residency program in the states???

Thanks

Hello

I am a 2020 graduate from Saskatchewan medical school in Canada. So, I am a Canadian graduate.

I did not match in CaRMS 2020 in Vascular surgery. I am really interested in Vasc Surg. Before immigration to Canada in 2012, I did medicine before in EGYPT and graduated in 2002 and trained as a vascular surgeon in a 3 years residency training program in Egypt.

the reason I did medicine again in Canada is to make myself a Canadian medical Graduate.

do I have a chance to match in Vasc surg residency program in the states???

Thanks

Your best chance is to get a general surgery spot, go through your 5 years, then get a vascular surgery fellowship. You will need to ask yourself if you are willing to put 7+ years into training to go into Vascular Surgery.

Your best chance is to get a general surgery spot, go through your 5 years, then get a vascular surgery fellowship. You will need to ask yourself if you are willing to put 7+ years into training to go into Vascular Surgery.

But is there a reason why cannot I get in a direct entry vasc surg program??

Those spots are very competitive. Your chances are extremely low of matching into a spot. Your best chance to be able to train and become a vascular surgeon is through General Surgery with a Vascular Fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
Those spots are very competitive. Your chances are extremely low of matching into a spot. Your best chance to be able to train and become a vascular surgeon is through General Surgery with a Vascular Fellowship.

If I would like to consider the direct entry one in the next year's application, what are the small programs that I may apply to?

what I mean with small programs are the ones that have a small number of learners in it. Like a program which takes one resident a year or something.

Thanks

If I would like to consider the direct entry one in the next year's application, what are the small programs that I may apply to?

what I mean with small programs are the ones that have a small number of learners in it. Like a program which takes one resident a year or something.

Thanks

All integrated vascular programs are small. The overwhelming majority take 1 or 2 residents per year only.

Because your best chance was matching in Canada directly out of medical school and this did not happen. Matching in the states a year after graduating from a non-US med school is not going to make you a more attractive candidate. You are welcome to try, but it is going to be expensive with a low likelihood of success. Not zero, but small.

Reactions: 2 users
If lifestyle is a top priority for you, I would strongly consider another specialty. Vascular involves frequent schedule disruptions. It's nice when things are quiet, but crap flying in out of left field is almost a daily occurrence. It is manageable with good partners and a supportive home life.

During this elective case ban amidst a pandemic, our division has probably been the most "COVID-proof" from a daily operative standpoint. Cold legs, ruptures/dissections, infected grafts, and failing access have not gotten the memo that we shouldn't be doing these cases to help conserve resources. Every Friday the division secretary sends out an email of cases for the next week of all the attendings and I don't even look at it. I know when the big cases are and I also know that almost 30-40% of what we do is an unexpected add on. So yeah, probably not the best from a pure lifestyle standpoint if that's what you're looking for bruh. Having said that, VS is a pretty dope field and we do some pretty dope **** on the regular. Good luck. Cheers.

Hello

in ERAS 2021, I recieved invitations from 2 schools till now for Vasc Surg

1) Zucker at Hofstra
2) Texas medical branch

I would like to know if they are good programs or not and more info about them is possible bceause the info at their websites are not that much.

Thanks