VCA Sponsored Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pomeranian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how VCA sponsored residencies are obtained and how many on average are offered per year? Are there specific VCA internship locations that are recommended if I would like to get a VCA sponsored residency? I'm specifically interested in Internal Medicine; I'm not sure if that helps because since practically every specialty hospital has internists. Is there a website that has statistics about them similar to VIRMP?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know all of the details of the VCA residencies. In the past they have sometimes sponsored residency programs that one of their interns enters into and then agrees to work for VCA for a set period of time after training. But I don't want to speak for VCA so you really need to talk to them when you get to the point of making decisions.

The ACVIM website has a section with all of the approved residencies and some information on each of those. You can search for VCA programs on the VIRMP site to get a rough idea of numbers. Also any Diplomates at your school would also be a good resource.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how VCA sponsored residencies are obtained and how many on average are offered per year? Are there specific VCA internship locations that are recommended if I would like to get a VCA sponsored residency? I'm specifically interested in Internal Medicine; I'm not sure if that helps because since practically every specialty hospital has internists. Is there a website that has statistics about them similar to VIRMP?

Internships don’t matter really to get a VCA sponsored residency. However, we had a representative speak to us this week and mention that they are not guaranteed and far from common. To put it basically: your internship director has to reach out to your regional internship person and say “this person is great. We need to get them somewhere” and a lot of pushing needs to happen. I only know of one intern I’ve worked with that is getting a sponsored residency, and he said to not plan or bank on getting one unfortunately.
That being said, reach out to VCA jobs and talk to internship directors themselves to see what their experiences have been. I think the biggest confounding factor is that it may not be around when the time comes.