VCOM Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natatiap

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm excited I FINALLY have my first interview. Anyone else interviewing on Halloween (October 31) with me? I went to the open house this past saturday and love the school and I got asked for an interview earlier today. Couple of questions for those who have already interviewed there or just know:
-What are some decent hotels in the Blacksburg area that have good rates and
- From what I hear VCOM gives less than a month to hold your spot if accepted....is this true because I probably wont have all my interviews by then so how could I make a decision?

Any other advice would be appreciated as well :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

The VT Inn is nice and they give discounts for visiting VCOM. Make sure you tell them you get the VCOM discount when you book.

If you get accepted and want to wait it out for other interviews and potential acceptances you'll likely have to put down your deposit and be prepared to lose it if you down end up at VCOM. Its a pain but its all part of the application process game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the hotel that I stayed at before moving into my apartment was the Choice suites. It was pretty nice and they have a special rate for VCOM students and those that are interviewing. I think it is like $65 and you will have a hard time finding anything cheaper. Plus it is probably the closest hotel to school, maybe 2 miles away. You do not want to stay at the Ramada Inn. Other than that I am not sure, when I came for my interview I stayed in Roanoke and I do not recommend that. VCOM does, or at least did when I got accepted last year, a policy that you had two weeks from your acceptance to submit your deposit and hold your seat. After that point if you choose to go to another school you will forfeit your deposit. Good Luck on your interview!

Can you give your stats? I'm interested in VCOM and would like to know if I have a fighting chance. I'm waiting on the committee to review my file for a secondary application. If any of you VCOM interviewees or attendees could give your stats, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

-What are some decent hotels in the Blacksburg area that have good rates

i just interviewed on 9/25, and i recommend the Comfort Inn. I'm pretty sure its the closest to VCOM (literally 5 mins door to door, from hotel to VCOM footsteps). no traffic either. 3 out of the 6 of us stayed there. the VT Inn is very nice and even on campus, but i still think the comfort inn was closer. The only thing that sucks is that the checkout time is 11AM, and the interview ended at about 3:30PM, so i didn't have the room to go back to in order to change out of my suit and into relaxed clothing for my flight. however, they let me use their public bathroom. anyways, the room was decent and it had internet (u had to provide ur own ethernet cable). don't rely on the shuttle. i ended up giving a ride to a fellow interviewee because the shuttle was late.

I think I posted the wrong hotel it is actually a Comfort Inn. Sorry! When I stayed there they had an ethernet cord at the front desk that I could borrow. And yes it is closer then the Inn and Virginia Tech.

Can you give your stats? I'm interested in VCOM and would like to know if I have a fighting chance. I'm waiting on the committee to review my file for a secondary application. If any of you VCOM interviewees or attendees could give your stats, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

My science GPA is 3.3 and my overall is a 3.5
Honestly my mcat is low...very low and i'm not even posting it up here because you wouldnt believe me anyways. Mrs Price Director of Admissions mentioned herself at the open house that mcat is not weighted heavily at all because it is not correlated with how well you do in medical school. They DO look very strongly upon science gpa and overall gpa and the other parts of your application. Apply no matter what because you'll never know!!

Thanks for the info. My MCAT is very low also, but my gpa is fine (comparable to yours). I was worried about the MCAT score. That's good to know. :)

i just had my interview today!!! i am too cheap to stay at the inn at VT, but i hear it is really nice. i stayed at the microtel for $45. it's a very small room, but i just needed a bed to sleep in. they also have free high speed internet. you just need to keep in mind that it is a discount chain. good luck with the interview.

i just had my interview today!!! i am too cheap to stay at the inn at VT, but i hear it is really nice. i stayed at the microtel for $45. it's a very small room, but i just needed a bed to sleep in. they also have free high speed internet. you just need to keep in mind that it is a discount chain. good luck with the interview.

How was your interview!! I heard it was more conversational than drilly. I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I just want to know how long people have after acceptance to hold a seat.

Microtell inn has great internet rates. I would suggest checking onliine. A suite is a bigger room with a micro and a fridge... you can get them for 59$ a night usually.
DONT stay at ramada Inn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ameria Suites used to have a 75$ VCOM rate. You have to ask for teh rate. They are a nice place to stay.

Good luck to you all

How was your interview!! I heard it was more conversational than drilly. I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I just want to know how long people have after acceptance to hold a seat.

:thumbup: Fantastic!!! I love the people there. The interviews were all conversation. I didn't have any ethical questions or questions like "tell me about a time when you had a conflict and how you solved it". They really want to get to know you as a person, and so they start the conversation off by asking about something in your file. I was asked about my environmental volunteer work with the US forest service, my trips to costa rica and thailand, etc. actually, the interviewers seemed to talk more than I did since they asked about things they were really interested in. one prof asked about thailand b/c he has an adopted son from there, so he talked alot about the places they went to and the different foods he liked. i immediately hit it off with the first interviewer. at the end of our time she said she loved talking to me and she wished we could talk all day (i am sure she was equally fascinated by the following interviewees as well, but it still made me feel good). and the last one actually hugged me. i like my personal space, but i wasn't going to complain. anyway, the point is to relax. know what's in your application and speak from the heart. i should know this thursday if i got in. i am so glad i don't have to wait forever for a decision. As far as the deposit goes, it's $1200 (no credit cards :() and is due on Dec 15th, but this may be different for groups interviewing later. well good luck in your interview and if you have any other questions you can PM me.

I have to change my interview date :smuggrin: My boss says too many ppl are taking off for halloween Imma call today but when she gave me the choice to interview oct 24 or the 31st so I'll see whats up for the 24th but it seems so much closer!! But thats good cuz i'll get it over with sooner. I like this school a lot. Anyone interviewing on the 24th??