Vcom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raven Feather

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does VCOM attend school all year round? I thought I read that it does, and if so then, how are breaks distributed?

Members don't see this ad.

As a first year you get 2 weeks at the end of block 1 which is roughly 10 weeks long. After that you get 1 week between each block. The blocks average 4-10 weeks long. You get a "summer break" at the end of your first year that lasts 4 weeks long.

As an MSII, the breaks are only one week long. Here is our break schedule

MSIIs break schedule

Block 7-8 break October 13 at 5pm through October 23, 2005

Thanksgiving break November 23 at 5pm through November 27, 2005

Block 8-9 break December 23 at 5pm through January 1, 2006

Block 9-10 break February 24 at 5pm through March 5, 2006

Block 10-11 break April 28 at 5pm through May 7, 2006

Memorial Day May 29, 2006

Block 11-12 break June 9 at 5pm through June 11, 2006
(weekend only)

Independence Day break June 23 at 5pm through July 4, 2006

Block 12 – rotations break August 5 (Saturday) at 5pm through September 4, 2006

Amy B said:
As a first year you get 2 weeks off at the end of block 1 which is roughly 10 weeks long. After that you get 1 week between each block. The blocks average 4-10 weeks long. You get a "summer break" at the end of your first year that lasts 4 weeks long.

As an MSII, the breaks are only one week long. Here is our break schedule

MSIIs break schedule

Block 7-8 break October 13 at 5pm through October 23, 2005

Thanksgiving break November 23 at 5pm through November 27, 2005

Block 8-9 break December 23 at 5pm through January 1, 2006

Block 9-10 break February 24 at 5pm through March 5, 2006

Block 10-11 break April 28 at 5pm through May 7, 2006

Memorial Day May 29, 2006

Block 11-12 break June 9 at 5pm through June 11, 2006
(weekend only)

Independence Day break June 23 at 5pm through July 4, 2006

Block 12 – rotations break August 5 (Saturday) at 5pm through September 4, 2006

Thanks for the info! I have an interview scheduled for 11/2. :D

If you have had the chance to talk to other students who basically get "the whole summer off", would you say that attending school this way enables more time for one to consume the overwhelming amount of material given?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to sign a contract to work post-training?

Contract? Hmm I am not sure about that.

While it stinks to go to school almost year round. It does mean we get a lot of little breaks which helps rejuvenate your energy a little bit. The month long break was definitly needed. It did seem short. But I do think I prefer the week breaks the to going 5 months and then getting a break. So I personally believe I like this system better. Dont know if this answers your question or not.

Amy B said:
Contract? Hmm I am not sure about that.

While it stinks to go to school almost year round. It does mean we get a lot of little breaks which helps rejuvenate your energy a little bit. The month long break was definitly needed. It did seem short. But I do think I prefer the week breaks the to going 5 months and then getting a break. So I personally believe I like this system better. Dont know if this answers your question or not.

Thanks Amy! You have always been soo helpful. How is the weather? Like the winter?

The winter last year was pretty mild. If I recall there were only 4 semi-big snows and a number of small snows. I was only unable to leave my house 3 times last year due to snow. The temp was not too cold most of the time. I don't think it ever got below 0. But I cant remember. This week it has been in the high 70's to low 80's. I love the weather here since you definitly have all 4 seasons.

Amy B said:
The winter last year was pretty mild. If I recall there were only 4 semi-big snows and a number of small snows. I was only unable to leave my house 3 times last year due to snow. The temp was not too cold most of the time. I don't think it ever got below 0. But I cant remember. This week it has been in the high 70's to low 80's. I love the weather here since you definitly have all 4 seasons.

Here, in the very North of Indiana it gets pretty cold from October til May. It snows a lot usually from Nov until March. We had a bad winter last year snow above my knees (Im 5'4). Eeeek. How many months on average, is the temp 70F and above? Im just trying to get a feel of the climate, my interview is Nov. 2.

It ususally starts getting cold end of Novemeber. Next week is supposed to be in the low 70's. It will probably start staying in the 60's in November. It is hard to say though. The weather here can be very weird due to the mountains. It can be clear at VCOM and snowing hard in the valley where I live and that is only 4.5 miles from VCOM.

I lived in Chicago for 7 years (I was actually born there), so I know what winter weather is like. It is not like that here. But again, it is unpredicatable and can lead to surprises. The deepest it got last year at one time at my house was around 8 inches. The roads were sloppy the next day but we got out ok. We couldnt get out the actual day it snowed.

Now you watch.... this winter we will have a truckload of bad weather :eek:

Amy B said:
It ususally starts getting cold end of Novemeber. Next week is supposed to be in the low 70's. It will probably start staying in the 60's in November. It is hard to say though. The weather here can be very weird due to the mountains. It can be clear at VCOM and snowing hard in the valley where I live and that is only 4.5 miles from VCOM.

I lived in Chicago for 7 years (I was actually born there), so I know what winter weather is like. It is not like that here. But again, it is unpredicatable and can lead to surprises. The deepest it got last year at one time at my house was around 8 inches. The roads were sloppy the next day but we got out ok. We couldnt get out the actual day it snowed.

Now you watch.... this winter we will have a truckload of bad weather :eek:

Hope not!

Here it has been unseasonably warm in the 80's until yesterday. Yeah, I live an hour away from Chicago. How long does the equivalent of Chicago's summer weather last in VA? Did you move from Chicago to VA? Just curious.