VCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Popoy

SDN Super Moderator
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's been posted before, but I did see this in the again in the latest "DO magazine".... and thought I'd give a heads up....

VCOM (Virginia College of Osteopathic Medicine) will open its door to the first class in September 2003....

That means applications next year will include 20 Osteopathic Medical Schools....

Members don't see this ad.

Do you favor or disfavor the addition of VCOM? Why/why not?

Is there a website for this school or any info about it?

fred

Members don't see this ad :)
<a href="http://www.voma-net.org/" target="_blank">http://www.voma-net.org/</a>

Mike

•••quote:•••Originally posted by The Mesentery:
•Do you favor or disfavor the addition of VCOM? Why/why not?•••••I can't make that judgement call as I don't know enough about the new school and what's to be implemented.... I can say, though, that an expansion of the number of osteopathic medical school shows the continued growth of the profession as is emphasis on research.... Let's hope that the new school will contribute a lot to the promotion of research to the medical community and produce well trained physicians someday.

More power to the new school.... and I wish them luck in the years to come.

I think it'll be a good addition, especially since its associated with VT. I am originally from VA and wish they had it when I was applying. The area definately needs it. ANd of course they will try to sway everyone to do rural medicine (which I don't think works)... SW VA is one of the poorest places I've seen.
Q

•••quote:•••Originally posted by QuinnNSU:
•I think it'll be a good addition, especially since its associated with VT. I am originally from VA and wish they had it when I was applying. The area definately needs it. ANd of course they will try to sway everyone to do rural medicine (which I don't think works)... SW VA is one of the poorest places I've seen.
Q•••••Funny you mention that.... They did mention in the article that VCOM's mission is to provide docs for the Appalachian regions and rural areas.... I guess it's a start.... then if it doesn't work.... they would probably need to change their mission statement....

Yeah, when I applied to NSU one of their statements was to provide doctors for FL's underserved areas (FL is really rural except for maybe the 5 or 6 big cities, Tampa, Orlando, JAX, Ft. Laud, Miami, Tallahassee). I bet a big majority of teh applicants put they wanted to work in underserved areas, but now as we approach our fourth year, I can't think of one person who does...

Virginia unfortuantely has very few DOs anyways, so I think this could help. I'm from there originally and it may have actually had some of the lowest DO per capita ratio.

Q

I am from Northern VA, and I can tell you that there definitely aren't that many D.O.'s here...

I only personally know of about 5 in the immediate washington D.C. metro area...

Mike

p.s. I'll be attending NOVA in the fall!!!!