VCOM's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr. tree

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any major differences in the VCOM campuses I know carolina and auburn campuses are newer, I'm applying to VA for sure but i'm hesistant to apply to the other two. Any advice or words of wisdom?

Members don't see this ad.

Second this, I'm looking at throwing an app at VCOM Carolinas as they have a decent OOS rate, does anyone have any info?

I’m fairly certain you only need to apply to one and you’ll be considered for all three.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
N=1 here, but one of my fellow interviewees during this past cycle who went to Auburn for undergrad said that VCOM-Auburn basically popped up overnight lol. This would worry me for years 3-4 more than anything with that branch in particular.

They are the same overarching school but a different campus, different area, different faculty, and different associated colleges/hospitals.

Same same, but different.

@Coltuna VCOM is a well established school and knows how to handle the logistics for clinical years

They are the same overarching school but a different campus, different area, different faculty, and different associated colleges/hospitals.

Same same, but different.

@Coltuna VCOM is a well established school and knows how to handle the logistics for clinical years
Yeah I'm just kind of contrasting VCOM-Auburn to another newer school like ACOM that was actually 10 years in the works (mostly securing clinical rotations in Alabama) before opening. The interviewee I spoke to had obviously gone through the process of applying to med school and wasn't even aware that her undergrad was opening a medical school branch until it popped up one day lol. Nothing against those going to VCOM! It will certainly get you where you want to be. I would just imagine there will be a bit of traveling and/or preceptor based rotations for many students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply to all 3, and then VCOM will “assign” you an interview at one of them. That will be your only VCOM option moving forward.

this is what I received from VCOM admissions last year:

We are always happy to hear from potential applicants! You will apply to VCOM with one application sent to any of the three campuses. If you are invited to complete a secondary application there is an opportunity to rate your preference of campus on it. We will work with you to try to get you placed on the campus of your choice.

Best Wishes,

Admissions coordinator – Carolina Campus

I went to VCOM in VA and it's decent. 3rd and 4th years are okay. Administration is like it is at other schools. The building is ok. Auburn's building is much nicer.

I'm a current VCOM-Auburn student and I must say that there is a big difference between campuses. VCOM-Auburn is the newest and follows VCOM-VA's curriculum. VCOM-SC doesn't have ties to any major universities like VTech/Auburn and some of the post-bacc students say it's VCOM's "forgotten campus" since they have spent a lot of money and energy to make sure VCOM-Auburn students do well. Auburn is more affordable than Blacksburg Virginia and students who did the post-bacc at VCOM-VA say it is much better in terms of security and accommodations. The only complain I have about VCOM-Auburn is the way they teach OMM. VCOM-VA seems to be much better at teaching OMM than Auburn's campus so if that's something that you're interested in incorporating in your practice then you should consider going to VCOM-VA.

Current VCOM-Carolinas student - only an OMS1 here but VCOM as a whole is very organized and established school as far as osteopathic schools go. Everything runs smoothly, the facilities are nice, the teachers and staff want to compete with the best and care of thier students. They focus on GPA during school bc they know that is the best indicator for doing well on boards. One con I have, with VCOM-SC especially, is the lack of research they provide.

Yeah I'm just kind of contrasting VCOM-Auburn to another newer school like ACOM that was actually 10 years in the works (mostly securing clinical rotations in Alabama) before opening. The interviewee I spoke to had obviously gone through the process of applying to med school and wasn't even aware that her undergrad was opening a medical school branch until it popped up one day lol. Nothing against those going to VCOM! It will certainly get you where you want to be. I would just imagine there will be a bit of traveling and/or preceptor based rotations for many students.

That might say more about the applicant & due diligence than the COM. FWIW, her undergrad WASN'T "opening a medical school branch." VCOM Auburn isn't part of Auburn, just has it as an affiliation. The school that opened a branch there was VCOM. The reason it was so seemingly rapid is that VCOM jumped for it quickest when the opportunity came up.

Last edited:
So what is the difference between VCOM Auburn and VA? Debating between these two. What are the pros and cons?