VCU and Richmond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishqbina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow SDNers,

What's going? I was just wondering if anyone from the Richmond area or anyone who has been to Richmond could give me some input on the location of VCU school of medicine. When I visited VCU, I didn't feel like the medical school was in the ghetto. I actually liked the area and it seemed pretty safe. I don't really know too much about Richmond, but I have been hearing mixed responses from people. I feel like Richmond would be a great city to go to med school and live there (lots of restaurants, clubs, etc), but some say that it is not. Please let me know your thoughts and impressions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

I am from Richmond. VCU is not in the best part of town, but it is certainly not the worst either. I mean, I don't know what people are comparing to when they say "bad" part of town. It's a city. I'm not sure what they're expecting. There is tons to do in the surrounding counties like Henrico and Chesterfield (and in Richmond City, itself, too). I don't have any real complaints about it, honestly. It's a good-sized place, but not too too big, you know? Plus, DC, VA Beach, and other nice places are just a short drive away.

Let me know if you want specifics! Hope that sort of helped... :)

Ghetto is def. a relative term. I grew up in brooklyn, but was raised in Cali.. Richmond is not that bad.

I interviewed there a few days ago and a night the town is desolate. No restaurants or nightlife, but that is the area surrounding the medical school.

During the day its actually really nice. There are tons of places to get food and hang out by the medical center and the school and hospitals are nicely situated near each other.

I see myself living close to, but not in Richmond. It would get old quick living in the same city you are working in. I did that for undergrad, but Berkeley and the SF area really kicks butt by comparison.

Overall, its a cool town and a great school. The dean and all the students seem really laid back and fun. Also its a really diverse area, so you'll get some serious patient exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those people who are saying its ghetto are probably the same ones who speed through it...

Its not that bad... in fact, I don't think its bad at all... yeah, there are a lot of people walking around through the hospital like its a mall, but you don't feel like you're a potential mugging target.

You'll get mixed reviews from a lot of people. I'll just say this - I've seen worse.

wannagraduate said:
Hey!

I am from Richmond. VCU is not in the best part of town, but it is certainly not the worst either. I mean, I don't know what people are comparing to when they say "bad" part of town. It's a city. I'm not sure what they're expecting. There is tons to do in the surrounding counties like Henrico and Chesterfield (and in Richmond City, itself, too). I don't have any real complaints about it, honestly. It's a good-sized place, but not too too big, you know? Plus, DC, VA Beach, and other nice places are just a short drive away.

Let me know if you want specifics! Hope that sort of helped... :)

I think this is a great description. VCU is not in one of the nicer areas, and some of the surroundings are relatively high in crime compared to other parts of Richmond. However, Richmond as a whole has made great strides in decreasing the crime rate over the past 5 years or so. I don't know the parking situation, but if there is a garage close to the hospital it should be fine even if you leave late at night during your clinical years.

More information than you asked for, but just to add my two cents, I loved living in Richmond and was sad when I had to move for med school. It is a great little city with lots of history and lots of variety in neighborhoods. As a med student, you would have lots of options as to where to live -- Carytown, Downtown, and the West End are popular. I thought that it was boring when I first moved there, but after a while I discovered lots of cool restaurants and other things. Two huge, upscale malls have been built in the last couple years. Richmond is definitely a growing city, and new stores and amenities are being added all the time. Feel free to PM me if you have other or more specific questions!

Another plus: Richmond is incredibly affordable in terms of cost of living. ;)