VCU CERT vs. TCMC MBS

Started by Keypez
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Keypez

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got accepted to the Virgina Commonwealth University's CERT program and The Commonwealth Medical College's MBS program. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on this board about VCU and none for TCMC. Can anyone with experience or reliable knowledge give me their take on these 2 programs? I need to boost my GPA above 3.4 and do more research. My MCAT is <30 so I'll be doing that again as well.
 
I got accepted to the Virgina Commonwealth University's CERT program and The Commonwealth Medical College's MBS program. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on this board about VCU and none for TCMC. Can anyone with experience or reliable knowledge give me their take on these 2 programs? I need to boost my GPA above 3.4 and do more research. My MCAT is <30 so I'll be doing that again as well.

I did the VCU CERT program and got into VCU Med for Fall 2010. I think it comes down to which med school you prefer since CERT primarily sends its graduates to VCU Med (I'm sure TCMC is the same). As long as you do well in either program, have a 30+ MCAT, and have the other essentials (extracurriculars, letters of rec, and good interview), you should be fine.
 
I got accepted to the Virgina Commonwealth University's CERT program and The Commonwealth Medical College's MBS program. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on this board about VCU and none for TCMC. Can anyone with experience or reliable knowledge give me their take on these 2 programs? I need to boost my GPA above 3.4 and do more research. My MCAT is <30 so I'll be doing that again as well.

Note that the VCU cert program is a graduate program and won't change your undergrad GPA. However it will help you get into medical school.

I did the Cert program, and got into VCU med school (a state school for me). I have since graduated med school and am in a very well known residency program. I was very happy with the cert program and I feel like it helped me start out med school on the right foot.

I would highly recommend the cert program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did the VCU CERT program and got into VCU Med for Fall 2010. I think it comes down to which med school you prefer since CERT primarily sends its graduates to VCU Med (I'm sure TCMC is the same). As long as you do well in either program, have a 30+ MCAT, and have the other essentials (extracurriculars, letters of rec, and good interview), you should be fine.

So you just graduated from the CERT program this summer and will start at VCU in the fall?
 
So you just graduated from the CERT program this summer and will start at VCU in the fall?

I graduated in 2009 and applied afterward. I think depending on how solid your application is you can apply while in the CERT program. Since my grades from undergrad were really low, I needed the full year of grades before applying.