VCU GMED or Stony Brook Scholars for Medicine

Started by manu101
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

manu101

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!

I am currently a high school senior trying to decide on what program to attend this fall. I sent a few PMs to graduates of the VCU program and have gotten some great opinions/advice from them. Now, trying to get some opinions from the rest of the helpful members here before I make my decision 🙂

I was recently accepted into the Virginia Commonwealth University GMED program with MCV which is 8 years-no MCAT. The unique thing about this program is that you can apply out after 4 years and still retain your guarantee.

I was also accepted into the Stony Brook Scholars for Medicine program. This one is 8 years also, but you have to obtain an MCAT score of 28 composite with at least an 8 on every section. I believe you would lose your guarantee if you applied to any other medical school.

I'm from NY as well, so Stony Brook seems ideal. But VCU also gave me the presidential scholarship including free room, board, meal plan, which makes it just about equal to Stony in terms of cost for undergrad. I'm not really sure how the medical schools compare, outside of the U.S News rankings.

Which do you think is the best bet and why?

I was also accepted into TCNJ/NJMS, RPI/AMC, and Cornell. But it's mostly down to VCU or Stony since I prefer 8 year programs.

Thanks in advance for helping me out 🙂
 
No love for RPI? I know some friends going there.

But just the way you phrase it, looks as if VCU is more appealing to you. You had a lot of great stuff to say about that, not as much about Stony.

Anyway, MCV and Stony are comparable Medical Schools, at least with VCU you'd be given the option of applying to a better school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ RPI is a fine undergraduate institution, but Albany Med is not the best out of the ones I was accepted to. Plus I don't really want to accelerate my studies.

Stony med is ranked higher on U.S News, and there's also the factor that it is in-state (lower tuition). I really loved the medical center when I visited, but the same goes for VCU.

My primary concern was whether the ranking difference means much, but as long as they are comparable schools, I guess VCU is the better option for its flexibility. Will wait a couple more days for more opinions though 🙂

Thanks for your post 🙂
 
^ RPI is a fine undergraduate institution, but Albany Med is not the best out of the ones I was accepted to. Plus I don't really want to accelerate my studies.

Stony med is ranked higher on U.S News, and there's also the factor that it is in-state (lower tuition). I really loved the medical center when I visited, but the same goes for VCU.

My primary concern was whether the ranking difference means much, but as long as they are comparable schools, I guess VCU is the better option for its flexibility. Will wait a couple more days for more opinions though 🙂

Thanks for your post 🙂

Yeah, Albany is definitely the weakest of them all, but RPI is a pretty coveted program in the NY area. And as far as VCU and Stony go, I haven't visited Stony, but VCU is probably located in the worst part of Virginia.

Not that the area should deter you, but VCU is pretty sketch haha.

But best of luck, you definitely have some excellent programs to chose from!