VCU Interview! Help Needed!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentQT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I got my first interview invite and it's at VCU! I know that it's a post-Dec interview, so I've got to rock this! I believe it's my only chance as well... I got the call yesterday and my interview is scheduled for this coming Tuesday, January 24th! Needless to say I am EXTREMELY excited AND nervous! VCU is my top choice, and I am a Virginia resident. I have searched all throughout this forum for vcu interview advice, looked at the interview feedback section on SDN, and also looked at other interview prep resources, but I still have a million questions!!

If there is another thread on this, I apologize, but I couldn't find it. But can you all PLEASE help me, for those who have been to VCU's interview before.

1. What was the essay question? (I know it's an ethical one, but I just want to get an idea of the types of ethical questions they could ask)
  2. How much time do you get to write the essay?
  3. Are you put in a separate room for the essay? Are you alone or with the other interviewees?
  4. Does VCU ask any of those random/out of the blue questions to stump you? Such as science questions (Hess's law, a bio concept we should know), geography questions, explain a dental procedure, dental anatomy, how many pennies would it take to reach the height of x building, etc?
  5. Does VCU ask interview questions about current events?
  6. Does Dr. Healy ask "Why did you get x grade in ___" or is it the other interviewers?
  7. What what the most difficult question you were asked?
  8. What was the most strange question you were asked?
  9. What are some good questions to ask the interviewer? I have come up with a few, but they might be answered in my interview...
  10. If they asked how I prepared for this interview, is it okay to say SDN?
  11. How many interview invites does VCU give out?
  12. How much of the class has been filled so far?
I know I have asked a lot of questions! If anyone can help with any of these I would greatly appreciate it!

THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your VCU Interview... Its going to be a fun and relax interview. VCU is a really good school.
Anyway, here are my answers:

1. I cant tell you the topic. Each interviewee has his/her own topic to write about. For example: ethical question like you see your friend cheating, what would you do?
2. I believe you have about 30 minutes. Its only a page. 30 minutes is more than enough. If you wont finish it in 30 mins, everyone else will wait for you :) . I dont know if this is a good thing or not.
3. You are in a room with the other interviewees when you write the essay.
4. It depends on who you have for your interview. There will be 2 interviewers, 30 minutes each. One of my interviewer asked a few random questions. Don't worry, you don't need to know any of those before the interview. BE YOURSELF. Those interviewers and Dr.Healy can read you like a book.
5. No, I didnt have any question about current events.
6. One of my interviewers asked that question. I didnt have Dr. Healy for my interview.
7. Solve a calculus problem but its just for fun lol.
8. Same as 7.
9. Good questions to ask the interviewers: think about you are going to live there for 4 years with other 99 students from different background. Ask questions based on that (yes, you can ask where students hang out on the weekend). You shouldn't ask basic questions like what is faculty:student ratio? Most interviewees already asked them this.
10. yes, its ok. I told my interviewer this hhaha.
11. ~300.
12. ~50% .

Finally, go to VCU Dental class of 2016 and ask for help. I am sure someone will help you. https://www.facebook.com/groups/245583445506206/?ref=ts

Remember: be yourself, be friendly, talk to anyone, smile etc.

Good luck with your interview.

Last edited:
Do you mind sharing your stats? I applied to VCU but haven't heard a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are average. I'm no SDN gunner... Science GPA 3.38, Non-Science 3.80. Was not a bio major. I majored is Health Science/Global and Community Health---that's why there is such a big difference between my two GPA's. DAT score 18AA (reading-- i barely studied for, I thought I would do great in since I love reading and scored well on practice exams,-- and math got me, grr!) 20 PAT. On top of all that, I applied late, so I am very thankful to have this interview! I do have a lot of dental experience, dental volunteering, extra curric activities, leadership roles in many activities, and I know I had some kick ass letters of recommendations---so I believe even tho my "numbers" are okay, my essay, letters of rec and activities def played a large role in my interview invite

Wizi--I can't thank you enough for you help! You answered all of the 12 questions I asked and MORE! I wasn't expecting one person to answer them all! Thank you! When did you have your interview at VCU? Did you get accepted? If so, did you accept ur acceptance lol? Thank you again! :)

DentQT,
You are welcome.
Yes i accepted my acceptance.

Wish you the best.... :)

VCU was really nice and I didn't feel that the interviews were very hard. I did have Dr. Healy (can't remember other person). They both just basically looked through my file and asked me different questions about what I did, etc. I think I was asked to describe myself in a few words.

The most important thing I can possibly tell you is TO BE YOURSELF. The interview is so laid back. It's ok to be somewhat nervous, but just show them your intentions are genuine and you really would love to go to the school.

You have been SELECTED for an interview because they like you. All you need to do is show them your personality. If they like you, you've got a great chance.

And I agree with wizi's responses. They really don't ask anything crazy. They just want to get to know you.

Good Luck!