VCU interview-What time do you finish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc123

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CA resident and I have an interview for VCU in December and am trying to book a flight.
I'm finding that it's significantly cheaper to leave Richmond around 2:50pm (on the interview day), than to wait around for an evening flight.

Q: For those of you who've already interviewed there, what time were you finished for the day? My interview's at 10am and I know there's a session till 1:45pm. Do you think I'll have enough time to make 2:50pm? Also, how far and difficult is it to get to the airport?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :p

(I tried contacted the VCU people, but all I'm getting is voicemail.) :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

hi dc,

it takes about 15-20 mins to get to richmond international by taxi depending on traffic

IMO, 2:50 is pushing it, cuz u gotta go through security etc...

when i interviewed, i had a 9:00 interview, and i scheduled a 4:30 flight out of richmond, and had plenty of time...

if u can get a flight that leaves around 3:45-4:00 ish i think that'd be ideal

good luck man!

thanks for the advice, chondro! yeah, that's kind of what i figured... just watned to see if i could save myself $600 :eek: by going on the earlier flight. i guess i'll keep shopping for a better deal.... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I say take the cheap flight - depending on the airline and frequency if you miss your flight I'm sure you can fly standby on the next one for no extra charge OR the last activity is the tour and I'm sure it won't be the end of the world if you leave early. I did the VCU interview a few weeks ago and also coming from CA I found it cheaper to fly into DC and rent a car...but that was probably still about $320.

hey dc123,

i just interviewed with vcu recently, 9 am also. you should plan on sticking around until noon; dean of admissions meets you at 11 am. tour, then lunch, begins around noon. over by 2 pm. i guess you could skip the tour if you really wanted too; some kid skipped out after the free lunch! anyways, tour is led by M2 students so they could care less really. but tour of school and hospital was nice.

thanks guys, for all the input! so i found out that by flying out from sfo, instead of sac, i save $600-700. But I still have to take a 5pm flight instead of 2. at least i won't have to rush. i'll try studying for finals at the airport. :D

also, where did you guys stay? i've read about sdners staying at commonwealth parks suites, but that's $106 :eek: .

oh, and how'd you get to the school? any shuttle/bus service?

thanks,
dc

hey dc,

congrats on getting the 5 o'clock flight...at least now u can chill...and studying at the airport is pretty fun anyways... :D

i stayed at commonwealth...and yup it does come to that b/c u'll be charged an extra half-day for the late check-out, but i think it's worth it, b/c it's a <10 minute walk to Sanger hall, and u get to stay in a suite which is HUGE!

also the minute you walk into the hotel, to your left there's a cafeteria place...they serve complementary breakfast (regular bagels etc...not that great), but they open at 7am..so u can at least get a half-decent breakfast before the interview, and then totally satisfy your appetite with the free lunch during the tour :D

just my 2 cents...good luck!

dc123 said:
thanks guys, for all the input! so i found out that by flying out from sfo, instead of sac, i save $600-700. But I still have to take a 5pm flight instead of 2. at least i won't have to rush. i'll try studying for finals at the airport. :D

also, where did you guys stay? i've read about sdners staying at commonwealth parks suites, but that's $106 :eek: .

oh, and how'd you get to the school? any shuttle/bus service?

thanks,
dc

The special rate for the park suites is 85. The hotel is only .3 miles from the school so I think that you could walk if you had to. I also remember reading on the Park Suites website that they have a free shuttle within a 3 mile radius...but def call them and ask about it. I have my interview next week and will let you know if it is walking distance

chondrocyte said:
hey dc,

congrats on getting the 5 o'clock flight...at least now u can chill...and studying at the airport is pretty fun anyways... :D

i stayed at commonwealth...and yup it does come to that b/c u'll be charged an extra half-day for the late check-out, but i think it's worth it, b/c it's a <10 minute walk to Sanger hall, and u get to stay in a suite which is HUGE!

also the minute you walk into the hotel, to your left there's a cafeteria place...they serve complementary breakfast (regular bagels etc...not that great), but they open at 7am..so u can at least get a half-decent breakfast before the interview, and then totally satisfy your appetite with the free lunch during the tour :D

just my 2 cents...good luck!

haha, yes definitely lots of fun!
so you didn't check out till after your interview? that's a bummer about the extra charge, but at least you had a nice stay in a big suite and a decent breakfast :laugh:

pratik7 said:
The special rate for the park suites is 85. The hotel is only .3 miles from the school so I think that you could walk if you had to. I also remember reading on the Park Suites website that they have a free shuttle within a 3 mile radius...but def call them and ask about it. I have my interview next week and will let you know if it is walking distance

cool, thanks for the info and for offering to check for me. Good luck on your interview next week!!! :thumbup: