VCU-LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my AADSAS update for VCU has said that they are waiting for additional materials for the past few weeks. I finally decided to call them today and they didn't even look at my sh1t, but through process of determination I am most likely missing a LOR from a DDS/DMD. I never even saw that this school required a LOR from a doctor, all I sent was my comittee letter. Needless to say that the woman was very rude. I'm furious. Did other ppl send LORs from a dentist to VCU?

Members don't see this ad.

is it true i need a letter from a dds? i didnt see anywhere in vcu's info that this was factual.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's weird because my status on aadsas says application complete and i only sent a committee letter. when i asked her about LOR requirements about a month ago she replied

"Yes your committee letter will fulfill our LoR requirement."

short and sweet. so it could be something else that is missing.

I did and I talked to her today and she went through my file and made note that I had one from a DDS

i spoke w/her a while back, she said it wasn't absolutely required that u send an lor from a dentist.....i think its negotiable....who knows...

I got the same from VCU so I sent in a email and they told me that they r
waiting for the letter from a dds/dmd.

Well I guess I should wait then....
It seems that my application was not reviewed at all since I did not turn in my lor from dentist....

I think they do require a letter from a dentist...

So, my AADSAS update for VCU has said that they are waiting for additional materials for the past few weeks. I finally decided to call them today and they didn't even look at my sh1t, but through process of determination I am most likely missing a LOR from a DDS/DMD. I never even saw that this school required a LOR from a doctor, all I sent was my comittee letter. Needless to say that the woman was very rude. I'm furious. Did other ppl send LORs from a dentist to VCU?

Yeah, the same msg was showing on my AADSAS status page for a while as well, and when I called and talked to Sharon, she told me that they have not received my letter from a DDS/DMD yet. I happened to send my DDS/DMD letter previously (thank goodness), not knowing at all that they had this requirement (I didn't see it on their website or elsewhere). Sharon told me for sure that they required this particular letter. So if you hadn't planned on sending one in, I would try to ASAP. Hope that helps :)

I had a letter from a dentist, which all should in my opinion if you had any sort of dental experience while shadowing. Also Sharon is not rude, infact through out this entire application process she has been very helpful. When i met her during my interview she was very considerate and may start becoming irritated with applicants who didn't view the application requirements or for that matter submit a application up to par with VCU standards.

when i called i definitely made it a point to be polite, and she was rude. also, i told her there wasnt a sentence anywhere that specified who LORs should be written by. she blew that off, as i imagine she could not show me otherwise. this woman really turned me off to vcu.

"Q: How many letters of recommendations are requested and is there a limit to the number of recommendations sent?

A: A minimum of three (3) letters are needed and at least two of these are to be from science professors. Additionally, letters from dental professionals and other people who know the candidate well and can give a testimonial to him or her and his or her abilities are recommended. No upper limit is imposed on to the number of recommendations. However, the number should not be excessive. Letters from politicians or other people who do not know the candidate personally are discouraged"

people here are either giving out false information or VCU needs to update this section. my application says complete without any problems on aadsas. i did have a letter from a dentist but that was summarized into my committtee letter. they would have to read my committtee letter to know that i have a dental recommendation so maybe i've already been reviewed...and still no interview for this in-stater :( .

its the norm to send an LOR for a DDS to most university, its like the "unwritten rule", however i don't think that will stop an application from being complete.

if i were you, i would try to call when the "student asistant" is there to help out they are usually friendlier. or if you can stop by person she won't be able to avoid you anymore..

So what time would the student assistant be there instead of Sharon?

Members don't see this ad :)
I called to find out why my app. was incomplete also. Sharon was a total *****, I only asked if she could check and see what my app. was missing and she let out this sigh... like I was asking her to birth my child. Isn't all of our info online...so all she had to do was move her fat fingers and type in my info. What did she think she would be doing at this job anyways?

I called to find out why my app. was incomplete also. Sharon was a total *****, I only asked if she could check and see what my app. was missing and she let out this sigh... like I was asking her to birth my child. Isn't all of our info online...so all she had to do was move her fat fingers and type in my info. What did she think she would be doing at this job anyways?

:laugh: I agree...

Not so professional slandering admissions staff by name on open forums....

With so many applications and students- asking the same questions-, you have to understand that their staff is overwhelmed at this particular time. They are humans not robots! We all have bad days and feel overworked. Its best to stay polite and have an understanding attitude- even if it is her job. Wouldn't you get overworked if you have hundreds of phone calls a day asking for the same thing?
Just a thought,
LD

With so many applications and students- asking the same questions-, you have to understand that their staff is overwhelmed at this particular time. They are humans not robots! We all have bad days and feel overworked. Its best to stay polite and have an understanding attitude- even if it is her job. Wouldn't you get overworked if you have hundreds of phone calls a day asking for the same thing?
Just a thought,
LD

I think Super is way too stressed. Not that I'm trying to excuse his behavior, because he needs to act professionally. But Super, just chill out man. We're all freaking out at this time.

just in case anyone is wondering... i e-mailed vcu to ask if having the lor from a dentist incorporated into my committee letter was ok and they said that it is fine.

I also called VCU to check on my application status. I dont know who the lady was but she was definitely rude. All I asked her was clarification on what exactly was missing. She kept telling me to just check online. Well that was my whole point for calling. I have had the same message up there for about 2-3 weeks. "Application recieved/ waiting for additional documents" All I wanted to know was what the "missing documents" were. She told me that I need to just keep checking online that they update it every week, and that right now they have too many applications right now to take the time to pull up my file and tell me what exactly missing. Just seems funny to me that everyone else that I have called had no problem helping me out and pulling up my file. UT, WV, UAB ..to name a few. And I have called these people more than once to check on my status. I tell you if I wasnt a reapplicant and wanting to get into Dental school really bad I would think about pulling my application from their school. Especially if that is any indication of how the administration is at the school. But I keeping positive thoughts and just thinking its just how that one lady acted.

hey guys don't do anything rash such as pulling your application or such. there is no need to do such things. its okay to worry a little as well and be frustrated its part of the hazing process of getting into dental school.

it looks like vcu is getting swamped. i totally agree that they should be willing to help out if something is missing from your file. i also think its a good thing they don't want to accept useless calls just to check your status. maybe that's the reason they've been able to get out interview invites while many others have not even started...just a thought. if they spent that wasted time reviewing applications then maybe we would all get our invites and updates sooner.