VCU (OOS) vs. Midwestern Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktv24

Reaction score
School 1: Virginia Commonwealth University
OOS
Pros:
  • Cheaper tuition
Cons:
  • Has dental specialties (endo, oral maxillofacial surgery etc.) During my interview students reported not doing endo on posterior teeth because these procedures would go to endo residents.
School 2: Midwestern University Illinois
Pros:
  • I received a $30,000 scholarship
  • No dental specialties
  • Opportunity to place implants.
Cons:
  • Costs more than Virginia
  • Virtual interview, so I didn't get to tour the school in person.
Summary: Here is how I look at it. Both schools are very expensive. The $30,000 scholarship to MWU makes the schools more comparable cost of attendance wise. Therefore, I am leaning towards MWU with the better clinical education I could take advantage of.

I would love to hear perspectives I didn't consider so I can make the best decision I can based off the information available. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: Virginia Commonwealth University
OOS
Pros:
  • Cheaper tuition
Cons:
  • Has dental specialties (endo, oral maxillofacial surgery etc.) During my interview students reported not doing endo on posterior teeth because these procedures would go to endo residents.
School 2: Midwestern University Illinois
Pros:
  • I received a $30,000 scholarship
  • No dental specialties
  • Opportunity to place implants.
Cons:
  • Costs more than Virginia
  • Virtual interview, so I didn't get to tour the school in person.
Summary: Here is how I look at it. Both schools are very expensive. The $30,000 scholarship to MWU makes the schools more comparable cost of attendance wise. Therefore, I am leaning towards MWU with the better clinical education I could take advantage of.

I would love to hear perspectives I didn't consider so I can make the best decision I can based off the information available. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond.
is the scholly one time, or is it possible to get it renewed?

which school is closer to friends/family/significant other?
which school is closer to where you want to live/practice in the future?

Members don't see this ad :)
On paper the scholarship is a one time acceptance award. But it doesn't hurt to ask! I don't have friends or family in either state. The closest thing is my Dad takes business trips to Richmond, VA so we can catch up when he's in town. I want to move to Utah in the future.

2019 data has VCU OOS $419k and MW-IL $495k
so with $30k scholly, the difference is $46k...

Reactions: 1 user
How is the patient traffic and the state of the clinics? You should visit the campuses and notice how clean everything is (or not). Clinical education is best when you get lots of experience and the patients want to return to be served by dental students (with oversight).

I interviewed in person at MWU-IL and was accepted. I have nothing but positive things to say about their clinic, curriculum and staff. My chemistry with them was amazing - they truly care about their students, who they call their "colleagues," and making the "best general dentist." The suburban Downers Grove is pretty nice but far from Chicago and $$. Chicago is very social and cheap compared to other major cities just brutally cold.

The mwu-il campus, despite having peak technology and resources like unlimited teeth, felt a bit monotone and boring... maybe that was just my impression.

Vcu however i did not apply. never been to richmond or va but does not sound as fun compared to chicago! remember if price is not a factor, your happiness and mental state during dental school matters too. Best of luck!

Thanks for all of the input. I chose to attend Midwestern University.

Reactions: 2 users