VCU or MCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sss111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where would you guys go? and Why? I wanted to go to Maryland but they rejected me :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I think that VCU/MCV is the better school. Just MHO though. It has a huge hospital (1000beds) on campus to offer great clerkship experience, supports rotations all over Virginia, and has great environment to learn in. I know nothing of MCP besides postings on this website, but many SDNers have raved about MCV (myself included), and I have not seen many raves for MCP. Good luck.

I have seen both schools and I interviewed at MCV. First of all, I think MCV has a better reputation than MCP. Most importantly though, I loved MCV. The school seems to have really good clinical education. Also the class schedule is awesome, you only have class from 8-12 every day. I would prefer to live in Richmond as well--And like the above poster said---everyone raves about MCV/VCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am almost sure that I will attend MCV/VCU. I heard that MCP had a very good reputation 10 years ago and that the school is considered good. But I did not like the place that much. Richmond is better as you say. Has anyone else decided to go to VCU???

I am going to MCV this fall. It is an excellent school (from what I have seen and heard). I have heard very little about MCP, besides it was having financial hardship. MCV has a diverse patient base, a good reputation, an organ based curriculum (which often gets you out of class by noon!) and is in Virginia. Also, students are not cutthroat like other schools (e.g., Univ. of Va.). I liked it better than the other schools where I interviewed (including the Univ. of Utah which is in the top 50) for those reasons. Good luck in your choice.
Patrick
[email protected]

anyone else to share their opinion???

Thanks

never heard of MCV. interviewed at MCP and thought it was pretty cool. the clinical training doesn't seem like a strength, but the first two years (esp PIL program) seem like they could be interesting. and the campus is very nice, with good facilities, and great apartments close by.

Caveman I am suprised you've never heard of it since you frequent SDN a lot:) ....For anyone who is interested MCV/VCU is the medical college of virginia at virginia commonwealth university....whew long "official" name.

i interviewed at both. i've been accepted to mcp, and am awaiting the final batch of letters from mcv. if i were to get into mcv, i would choose mcp instead. why??? i don't know.

"something" felt right when i was at mcp and i really enjoyed my visit there. i was also very impressed with the school at mcv, but wasn't so crazy about the area. the decreased classtime hours at mcv is a plus, but who said i needed to go to class anyway...

my overall impression would be that you can't be too disappointed going to either of these schools. i think that they are pretty comparable overall, but there will inevitably be something to sway you towards one school rather than the other.

Being in Philadelphia and doing research at MCPHU I know a little about this particular school. It's reputation is getting better and it will soon be part of Drexel University. The technology is great and the profs and generally nice. The opportunities in Philly for volunteering, fun, clerkships are superb. These are the good things.

The bad things: First last years step 1 pass rate a dismal 80%. Of the five medical schools in Philly MCP has the worst reputation, even the osteopathic school is better. It is very expensive and the other medical students and faculty of the othe schools such as Penn and Jefferson often make fun of MCPHU. The people in admissions are disorganized. Finally their post-bac students who get into the school kick so musch ass that they screw up the curve. There IMS/MMS post-bac students have already taken 75% of the 1st year coursework.

Hope this helps.

Medicine 2006:

I noticed on an earlier post of yours that you were waitlisted at MCP but still claimed to love the school and would be thrilled to go there. Now, you view the school as the laughing stock of Philadelphia. What gives?