VCU Secondary Formatting Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadbury325

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I wrote my supplemental essay for VCU secondary application, it all got merged into one big paragraph. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I have tried everything.

Members don't see this ad.

cadbury325 said:
When I wrote my supplemental essay for VCU secondary application, it all got merged into one big paragraph. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I have tried everything.

The essay is no longer hand-written?

bwells46 said:
The essay is no longer hand-written?

Nope and thanks God for that. I have a true doctor handwriting :laugh:

Hey cadbury325, do you know what all of those "prereq" and checkboxes are? Is that the:

# English - two semesters. One semester to include grammar and composition.
# College mathematics - two semesters.
# Biological science - eight semester hours, including laboratory. This may be satisfied by general biology, general zoology, or botany. No more than half may be botany.
# General or introductory chemistry - eight semester hours, including laboratory. A portion of this requirement may be met by courses in analytical chemistry or physical chemistry.
# Organic chemistry - eight semester hours, including laboratory. This course should be equivalent to and acceptable for continued studies in a chemistry major.
# General or introductory physics - eight semester hours, including laboratory experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrHopeless said:
Nope and thanks God for that. I have a true doctor handwriting

Hey cadbury325, do you know what all of those "prereq" and checkboxes are? Is that the:

I originally asked if either of you were out-of-state, but I just got a notification of status change.

Thanks,

Adam

My UVA secondary did that too!! It all merged into one paragraph.... Is there any way around this??

yeah i hevent heard anything. Anxiously awaiting moving on to the next round! :rolleyes:

beponychick said:
yeah i hevent heard anything. Anxiously awaiting moving on to the next round! :rolleyes:

I'm out-of-state and just got mine late this afternoon (like 4:45 EST).

Good luck,

Adam!

cadbury325 said:
Mine did the same thing. I sent it anyway. I figure if it did it to me, it will do it to a lot of other people. This is their first year doing everything electronic. I guess they haven't got all the gliches out yet.

somewhere later in the VCU secondary, they tell you that the formating you submit will be retained when the adcom looks at what you wrote. this means if you had separate paragraphs, they'll see separate paragraphs. i'm not sure how their webform parses the new line character and manages to maintain it in conveying the information back to the committee, but I guess they get the job done. at any rate, whatever you wrote should still be readable regardless of separate paragraphs or not. one of the things you learn to be an effective writer is to have the last line of one paragraph connect to the first line in the next paragraph. therefore, the whole response should be able to flow as one big blob anyway.