VCU Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Dark Knight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours "

Could you someone try to clarify this? Asking us what speciality interests you OR how do you plan to chose a speciality would make sense, but I don't understand what is being requested here. When they ask to share our thoughts on specialties, are they asking for us to give our 2 cents on an array of specialties? Really doesn't make sense...

Or are they asking to give our thoughts on what specialty we're interested in.. which of course doesn't make sense to ask then how we plan to choose ours... I'm guessing this question can be interperted in a number of ways and that's why most people don't seem to have an issue with it but could someone perhaps chime in on this if they think I'm not understnading the prompt. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

The second part is pretty straightforward - you can talk about what attracts you in medicine the most and how that would help you pick a specialty. Say, if you like patient contact, it's probably unlikely that you'd find pathology amazing.
The first part is more obscure and open to interpretation. I *think* (been more than a month) I wrote about how advanced specialties and primary care specialties interact with each other and how the popularity of secondary/tertiary specialties has been rising compared to primary specialties, and what it means for medicine.

"Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours "

Could you someone try to clarify this? Asking us what speciality interests you OR how do you plan to chose a speciality would make sense, but I don't understand what is being requested here. When they ask to share our thoughts on specialties, are they asking for us to give our 2 cents on an array of specialties? Really doesn't make sense...

Or are they asking to give our thoughts on what specialty we're interested in.. which of course doesn't make sense to ask then how we plan to choose ours... I'm guessing this question can be interperted in a number of ways and that's why most people don't seem to have an issue with it but could someone perhaps chime in on this if they think I'm not understnading the prompt. TIA

Answering any of these would be a valid response. There really isn't a wrong answer per se. It is more of a way for the Adcom to get more insight into you as a person.

Members don't see this ad :)
The second part is pretty straightforward - you can talk about what attracts you in medicine the most and how that would help you pick a specialty. Say, if you like patient contact, it's probably unlikely that you'd find pathology amazing.
The first part is more obscure and open to interpretation. I *think* (been more than a month) I wrote about how advanced specialties and primary care specialties interact with each other and how the popularity of secondary/tertiary specialties has been rising compared to primary specialties, and what it means for medicine.

Answering any of these would be a valid response. There really isn't a wrong answer per se. It is more of a way for the Adcom to get more insight into you as a person.

makes sense