VCU vs. Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bosox03

Believe
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both the VCU Premedical Certificate program (Anatomy and Neurobiology concentration) and the Georgetown SMP program. I am torn on where I should go (if I don't get off 1 of the 2 md waitlists I am on).

Georgetown sounds great because I like DC, I would receive a masters degree and it has a good track record at getting people into medical school. The main drawback is the price of the program.

VCU is a lot cheaper, has a good record at getting people into med school (esp VCU) and is a smaller program, which I think would be beneficial to me academically.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for any response.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on getting accepted..! i'm still waiting.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA/MCAT?
Thanks

I would go "all in" for Georgetown.
You are already on 2 waitlists so I imagine your stats can't be too shabby.
Unless you REALLY want to shine to VCU - I would opt for the SMP and spend the dough and get the MS added to the forethcoming MD.
Congrats, but start saving your pennies now. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
BUMP..

Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help thus far...

Yeah... any more ideas? I am nearly in the same boat - have not been accepted to the VCU program yet, but kind of expect to be considering the numbers (I applied to VCU thinking I would get in and Georgetown as a long shot - with med school being the real long shot -- on one wait-list)

But I think that I am leaning towards Georgetown because like you said, you get the Master's and though I am not exactly a fan of playing the name game, I feel like the name of Georgetown will really help in our application next time. Yeah, it does cost more (like 10K) and living is going to cost more (being DC...) but one day we will be doctors and be able to pay everything off :D

I'll let you know if I get into VCU and then more of my thoughts when I actually get to decide :)