Veitnamese under represented minorities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCDavisdude

WHITEBOY SLIM
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, i was wondering if vietnamese applicants were considered under represented minorities like blacks and mexicans are. if anyone knows, please tell me

Members don't see this ad.

No, they're not. But if you feel that there is a large underserved Vietnamese population in your hometown that you'd like to serve, I think you could bring that up in your app/interview.

chaeymaey said:
No, they're not. But if you feel that there is a large underserved Vietnamese population in your hometown that you'd like to serve, I think you could bring that up in your app/interview.

YEAH, i know tons of viet dentists and pharm, but i absolutely know no viet doctors. i saw one advertised in a vietnamese magazine though!

Members don't see this ad :)
chaeymaey said:

OH NO!! not an URM thread! To the OP, this may get ugly I hope you are prepared. But no, Vietnamese people are not considered URM.

sorry, i didnt know this was such a sensitive topic! geez

UCDavisdude said:
hey everyone, i was wondering if vietnamese applicants were considered under represented minorities like blacks and mexicans are. if anyone knows, please tell me

No, Vietnamese are asians.. and we all know all asians are the same :rolleyes: . In any case, rely on yourself to get in, don't take advantage of a system that is set up to help people/group who needs it.

gerido said:
No, Vietnamese are asians.. and we all know all asians are the same :rolleyes: . In any case, rely on yourself to get in, don't take advantage of a system that is set up to help people/group who needs it.
haha, all asians are the same..............

UCDavisdude said:
haha, all asians are the same..............

What's so funny? All asians do look the same. So do all the white people and black people. Hell we are the same species Homo sapien sapien. So duh, of course we look the same.

I love the part in Mountains Beyond Mountains when Paul Farmer recounts how the Haitians call white people "blan", and one time he had an African American medical student working in his clinic in Haiti, who then went home, and a bit later a different African American student came, and the Haitians thought he was the same guy. And when Paul Farmer asked them about it, they said, "all you blan look the same!"

Goes to show you how much of race is really culture. Funny story.

Underrepresented minority is no longer defined by specific ethnic groups. So it's possible that a Vietnamese applicant might be considered underrepresented.

xadmin said:
What's so funny? All asians do look the same. So do all the white people and black people. Hell we are the same species Homo sapien sapien. So duh, of course we look the same.

Unless you are from India. :D . (NO FLAME WAR PLEASE). I only joke because I have this Indian friend keep insisting that he's not asian.

xadmin said:
oh hell no, all asians do not look the same, you have the ones that tend to be more attractive, which tends to be a certain few types of asians, and then you have those asians that steal cars and are too lazy to work and live off of welfare ( nothings wrong with welfare, but when you are on it just becfause you are lazy, thats bs). well all im trying to say is that viets, chinese, japanese, koreans tend to be much different and look much different than hmongs, cambodians and loas, just to name a few. its all good though. diversity is ok

UCDavisdude said:
oh hell no, all asians do not look the same, you have the ones that tend to be more attractive, which tends to be a certain few types of asians, and then you have those asians that steal cars and are too lazy to work and live off of welfare ( nothings wrong with welfare, but when you are on it just becfause you are lazy, thats bs). well all im trying to say is that viets, chinese, japanese, koreans tend to be much different and look much different than hmongs, cambodians and loas, just to name a few. its all good though. diversity is ok

I thought you were trying to be funny, but I realize now that you are just dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
gerido said:
I thought you were trying to be funny, but I realize now that you are just dumb.
i was just kidding, geez, ok ok all asians are the same, just like blacks are the same as cubans and puerto ricans

liverotcod said:
Underrepresented minority is no longer defined by specific ethnic groups. So it's possible that a Vietnamese applicant might be considered underrepresented.
sweet!!, when did this start to be the case?

tigress said:
I love the part in Mountains Beyond Mountains when Paul Farmer recounts how the Haitians call white people "blan", and one time he had an African American medical student working in his clinic in Haiti, who then went home, and a bit later a different African American student came, and the Haitians thought he was the same guy. And when Paul Farmer asked them about it, they said, "all you blan look the same!"

Goes to show you how much of race is really culture. Funny story.

Dude, you read that book? That is one of my favorite medical narratives. Rock on!

My friend met Paul Farmer when he was interviewing for Harvard. He is such a nice guy. I think he might participate in the PIH (Partners In Health) program that exists in Haiti.

UCDavisdude said:
sweet!!, when did this start to be the case?

Are you sure about this statement about URM? Is there some evidence to back this up? If so, you're saying that white (or caucasian if you must) categorizes as a URM.

nicholonious said:
Are you sure about this statement about URM? Is there some evidence to back this up? If so, you're saying that white (or caucasian if you must) categorizes as a URM.
why did you quote me?

UCDavisdude said:
why did you quote me?

My bad bro. It was the previous poster to you.

Originally Posted by liverotcod

How's Davis? I just graduated there summer 2004. What's your major?

vietnamese are lumped in with asians. and no, vietnamese are not underrepresented because looking at enrollment and graduations, a lot of vietnamese names show up.

the only asians that are underrepresented are cambodians, laos, thai, an a few more that i can't think of right now.

oh and you spelled vietnamese wrong. it's not veit. but i'm sure you knew that :)

Why not make Vietnamese URM's? They beat the crap out of us in the war, so that could be sort of a consolation prize for the winners.

Wonder if American students would be URM's in Vietnam?

Wonder if American students would be URM's in Vietnam?

I was an american student in Viet Nam - we were few and far between :)