Venting about GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemosthenesUSC

UGA CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! This is really just a thread for me to vent, since I've seen so many others do it over the past year or so. I just took the GRE today for this first time and feel horrible about it. Really, I am a little excited and kind of mortified. According to my report at the end of the test I scored a Quant. score of 590, but my verbal score was horrendous at 420. I was a liberal arts major as an undergraduate and personally find this unacceptable for myself. I kind of feel like the admission committee is going to review my file and scores and think "Wow! This kid was a liberal arts major and he tanked the verbal section. Something doesn't add up." Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing. I am hoping that my analytical writing section will make up for this low score in demonstrating to the committee that I am able to communicate efficiently, but I just don't test well when it comes to standardized test. Has anyone else had this happen to them? It's also rather disheartening to feel that I performed poorly on the Bio GRE (applying to UGA just to let you know).

I didn't actually intend to apply this cycle, but since my state has contract seats with UGA I felt like I should give it a shot. This being said, I know that if I am not accepted this cycle then it would be like following my original plan, but I'm sure everyone understands how difficult it is to talk yourself out of feeling bad about a situtation. It's just been really difficult this past month with turning the application in, studying and taking the GRE Bio and General GRE, along with working and finishing up some preqs.

I'm sorry to vent so long but it's nice to speak with all of those who are going through the same things, or those who have already persevered these trials. I guess this isn't exactly the best first post. I have been what you might term a "lurker" for some time, but I usually don't have much relevant to add. Anyway, thanks so much for listening everyone. I wish everyone the best during this application cycle and for many blessing in everyday life!

Members don't see this ad.

2nd time was the charm for me.

I think that if you plan to brush up on your vocabulary, and practice some GRE math, and re-take the GRE again for next cycle (if you don't get in this time around) that you'll be in a better position - and - you will have the advantage of being a 2nd applicant.

I've just come to feel that some (maybe most?) of the schools seem to like re-applicants. That's an analysis for someone else to do - but, subjectively, that just seems to be the case.

(And, I know, there's plenty of folks who get in the first time 'round...). I'm making a purely subjective observation, and I have no stats to back it up with.

If you have a strong application otherwise, you may be pleasantly surprised this cycle. And if not, you now know what to expect, which can be very helpful. Good luck, don't give up - I think those of us from the liberal artsie side have goodness to share in this field.

I took the GRE twice and got just about the same score both times- and still ended up with a GRE worse than yours (by just a few points). I was terrified that I wouldn't get in anywhere (I've read minimum GRE scores are around 1000). UF told me the main reason I didn't get in was my GRE, but Auburn never even mentioned it. I guess it just depends on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your verbal score isn't good, but your quant score isn't either, and from what I've been able to deduce the quant score is really more important to vet schools and science programs, especially for a liberal arts major.

Now this is dependent on your grades in both your liberal arts and your science classes, but as a LA major they do need to know that you are competent in quantitative thinking for all of the science that goes along with vet school. For the time period of 2002-2006, a quant score of 590 is below the 50th percentile, and a verbal score of 420 is below the 40th. If you went to a highly ranked undergrad institution and have bulletproof transcripts (including a HIGH sciences GPA as for a non-science major this will probably be an important component) then it could possibly be an acceptable score (if you don't feel that you would perform significantly better on a retake, anyway). I'd register to retake it if I were you after being honest with yourself about your weaknesses on it (whether it was incorrect timing, insufficient knowledge of the material, anxiety or whatever....) and trying to work on them.

At any rate good luck! :luck:

harsh...

i've said it before... i think the gre is a stupid test for entry into most any graduate program, including vet. i don't understand why it's weighted so heavily. but it is only one component of the whole application.

that said, if you're not happy with your score, you can improve it. there are tricks for learning the vocab (which is most of the stupid test) and math. it may take some practice, but if you're dedicated to your goal, definitely achievable. and if it is strictly a stress issue, find some ways to relax.

as others have said, the gre is not the end-all. don't get too discouraged. get back up and find a way to get yourself into vet school.

cheers!

I always love to reply to threads like these:

I had a 400 quantitative score, 550 verbal on the GRE. First try, took it too late to be able to re-take it and make it count. I was absolutely horrified (went through undergrad and graduated with a 3.8 with a HEAVY credit load at one of the better pre-vet schools).

And...got in. First try.

AND happen to be in the top percentage of my class.

The GRE means nothing about your ability to function as a student. I think it is an outdated test meant to rake in the money for the people who make it.

I'm not saying you will get in with that GRE score. Matter of fact, it was pretty close for me - and I know that the GRE was what was making the schools nervous.

But...it can happen. And I am proof that the GRE has no proof of how you'll perform in vet school.

harsh...

i've said it before... i think the gre is a stupid test for entry into most any graduate program, including vet. i don't understand why it's weighted so heavily. but it is only one component of the whole application.

Not harsh, realistic. Tell me where I said anything that isn't true. Like Mylez, if a person has really good grades from a good school (especially science grades because of the LA major) and a great application otherwise she certainly has a shot even with a score averaging below 50th percentile.

This part may actually be the part that sounds harsh. I'm glad that something like the GRE exists. To be honest, I'd rather the test be something more like the MCAT or the Bio GRE instead of the general, but if it's what they're gonna use then it's what they're gonna use. I strongly believe that there does need to be some way to quantitatively normalize things like cumulative GPA.

Cumulative GPA is a terrible metric in my opinion, much moreso than a standardized test. Some schools are known for grade inflation and some for grade deflation. Some majors are harder than others. Science GPA I feel is slightly more normalized than cumulative GPA (my required courses GPA is poor too, weighting it higher wouldn't give ME any advantage so that's not why I'm saying this!!). If they are going to use numbers for this game (and they have to!) then they need something like a standardized test that is (for the most part, stupid writing portion!) completely objective.

What predicts your success in vet school is incredibly multifaceted and intangible. Since those intangibles by their very nature are hard to quantify, admissions would be even more random than they are without the existence of the GRE or other standardized tests.

I agree, nyanko. There does need to be a way to compare schools across the board. But I don't believe that testing the students is the best way. The GRE really seems outdated to me - I just have a hard time believing it really tests knowledge and ability that is necessary for veterinary school.

But that's my opinion. I'd like to see there be a way to evaluate schools across the board where there isn't standardized testing. That way a school can look at transcripts and say, Hey, they're from Floridate state (or wherever) that's a really good school.

I think this already happens. CSU is quite fond of grads from the University of Wyoming (they do quite well).

I think it could be done in a much better fashion. I don't disagree that it is needed, but I do disagree that the GRE is relevant.

Oh, I did not say anywhere that the general GRE was relevant, only that it's objective. I do, however, feel that the MCAT and the Biology subject GRE are relevant.

Even ranking schools is going to be very subjective, and there are a LOT of schools. And what about the fact that some Ivy League schools are obviously highly ranked but also known for grade inflation? Or people who had to go to their state school that might not be so highly ranked for money reasons but have a lot of potential. Again, ranking of schools is subjective and would have to be based on so many different factors for so many different schools that it's not really feasible to make it into an objective measure. Some schools do already look at this as a subjective measure, too.

Oh, I did not say anywhere that the general GRE was relevant, only that it's objective. I do, however, feel that the MCAT and the Biology subject GRE are relevant.

Why do you think more schools don't require the Bio GRE? As far as I know only UGA and Oklahoma do. Did it used to be different? Did more schools require the Bio GRE? First timer here...just wondering....oh and waiting....no Bio score yet.....:(

I completely agree. There has to be some way to objectively compare applicants, and GPA doesn't cut it. I have too many friends who transferred out of my university with a 2.5 (or less) to other nationally (better) known schools, partied it up, studied less and graduated with 4.0's from those schools (at least 4 people in my major freshman year). I am by no means saying the GRE is the perfect test. I didn't perform exceedingly well on it (far the contrary in the verbal and writing sections). But, it does give the adcomms one element by which they can judge us objectively. And I believe that is necessary.

Why do you think more schools don't require the Bio GRE? As far as I know only UGA and Oklahoma do. Did it used to be different? Did more schools require the Bio GRE? First timer here...just wondering....oh and waiting....no Bio score yet.....:(

Not the Bio GRE, but more schools used to accept the MCAT in place of the GRE, and there was a VCAT some time ago but it was phased out. Not sure why.

Not the Bio GRE, but more schools used to accept the MCAT in place of the GRE, and there was a VCAT some time ago but it was phased out. Not sure why.

The VCAT was not profitable enough. Some schools do accept the MCAT, but it is a much more difficult test and med and vet pre-reqs aren't the same so people would be forced to take classes in order to do well on the MCAT.

I think Mylez's example is great - because it shows that many schools look at the whole applicant. People must remembers, however, that Mylez's case is more the exception than the rule. I would recommend studying and retaking the test when you don't feel comfortable with your scores. Most schools will take the highest score - so it won't hurt you, but check with individual schools first.

Interesting factoid: the director of admiss at Cornell told me that they see a higher correlation between vet student performance and their VERBAL GRE scores than their math scores. But she didn't reveal exactly how they weight each in their application scoring.

I actually think the verbal section is easy, but studying for it is REALLY boring because a major component is rote memorization. If you just sit down and force yourself to memorize the extensive vocab lists you'll do well. We'll do lots of that in vet school, so it definitely helps to be good at memorizing. Also, having a good vocabulary is worth the trouble. (I look up every word I don't know when I'm reading - its a good passive way to build vocab. The NYtimes online is AWESOME b/c if you double click on any word, it looks it up for you!)

I actually think the verbal section is easy, but studying for it is REALLY boring because a major component is rote memorization. If you just sit down and force yourself to memorize the extensive vocab lists you'll do well. We'll do lots of that in vet school, so it definitely helps to be good at memorizing. Also, having a good vocabulary is worth the trouble. (I look up every word I don't know when I'm reading - its a good passive way to build vocab. The NYtimes online is AWESOME b/c if you double click on any word, it looks it up for you!)

Yeah, memorizing the vocab list is what I did and I did pretty well on the verbal part.

It's a really good idea to look up words as you're reading. Unfortunately for me, that's pretty impossible as I'm too easily distracted to be able to do that. If I'm reading something and come across an unfamiliar word I basically have to try to use context clues as much as possible - if I turn my attention away to look up words I won't be able to catch up again without re-reading the whole thing. :(

Yeah, memorizing the vocab list is what I did and I did pretty well on the verbal part.

It's a really good idea to look up words as you're reading. Unfortunately for me, that's pretty impossible as I'm too easily distracted to be able to do that. If I'm reading something and come across an unfamiliar word I basically have to try to use context clues as much as possible - if I turn my attention away to look up words I won't be able to catch up again without re-reading the whole thing. :(

My 10th grade English teacher gave us an assignment (waaay back in the day) that might help you and others in the same boat. Take an index card, use it as a book mark (if you're reading hard copy; if you're reading online, a text doc on the comp would work) and just jot down unfamiliar words and the page# (or URL or few sentences it's included in). Then later you can go look up the meaning and then go back and see it in context. It doesn't distract you as much in the moment but still helps with the vocabulary building.

Here's my GRE vent:

I took a Kaplan preparatory class for the GRE. I did all of the homework and all of the practice tests. On my baseline test the first day of class, I got a 630 on the verbal. On all of the practice tests through Kaplan and ETS, my lowest verbal score was 630. On test day, I felt confident. After my test, I was terrified that I did poorly on the math section, but felt fine about the verbal section. I got a 700 on the math, and a 520 on the verbal. I cried all the way home, and I'm still utterly confused on how in the world I dropped over 100 points after all the studying. I even contacted ETS, and they reviewed my test and said that my score was accurate.

I'm still really upset about it, and terrified that it will drastically reduce my already slim chances of getting into vet school.

Here's my GRE vent:

I took a Kaplan preparatory class for the GRE. I did all of the homework and all of the practice tests. On my baseline test the first day of class, I got a 630 on the verbal. On all of the practice tests through Kaplan and ETS, my lowest verbal score was 630. On test day, I felt confident. After my test, I was terrified that I did poorly on the math section, but felt fine about the verbal section. I got a 700 on the math, and a 520 on the verbal. I cried all the way home, and I'm still utterly confused on how in the world I dropped over 100 points after all the studying. I even contacted ETS, and they reviewed my test and said that my score was accurate.

I'm still really upset about it, and terrified that it will drastically reduce my already slim chances of getting into vet school.

Please remember that although your verbal score may seem lower to you than your quant. The percentile that you get for your verbal may be higher. The percentile depends on the test that you have taken and your perfomance on that particular test compared to others that have taken the same test. You may be just fine... especially if the school you are applying to considers percentile rather than the score.

I suggest that you wait and find out your percentile before worrying about this.

Last edited:
Oh I know that percentile is more important. My verbal percentile is 66%. I was told that to be competitive I should be in the 70th percentile, at least. And I'm not just upset about the score itself, I'm upset that it's over 100 points lower than any of my practice tests. If I were expecting a 520, I'd be happy with it.