venting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry for all the whinning :smuggrin: . but man dental school is getting tough.

I'm finishing up my 1st semester of third year at UNC-SOD. I'm grateful to be here but school is wearing me out.

I feel like they've stuff our heads with so many different diseases (internal medicine course + oral medicine course) that they are all starting to blur together. our teacher know this stuff cause they see it all the time, and they expect us to know it all by listening to a couple hours of lecture.

several hours of lecture != years of experience

Our implants course was ridiculous, we had like a million sources that we were responsible for (CDs, guest lectureres, textbooks, regular lecture, articles, other books...)

I'm sure they could have combined some of the internal medicine stuff with the physiology class.

I've never seen so many C's in my life. I used to be an A/B student leaning more towards the A. wow dental school is TOUGH! Oh yeah forgot to mention an 86 in oral medicine is still a C.

i do love going to clinic though. it's the break from the day.

16 months till graduation. Hopefully it gets better from here. DENTISTRY ROCKS!

Members don't see this ad.

guest said:

AMEN Brother!

Members don't see this ad :)
guest said:
sorry for all the whinning :smuggrin: . but man dental school is getting tough.

I'm finishing up my 1st semester of third year at UNC-SOD. I'm grateful to be here but school is wearing me out.

I feel like they've stuff our heads with so many different diseases (internal medicine course + oral medicine course) that they are all starting to blur together. our teacher know this stuff cause they see it all the time, and they expect us to know it all by listening to a couple hours of lecture.

several hours of lecture != years of experience

Our implants course was ridiculous, we had like a million sources that we were responsible for (CDs, guest lectureres, textbooks, regular lecture, articles, other books...)

I'm sure they could have combined some of the internal medicine stuff with the physiology class.

I've never seen so many C's in my life. I used to be an A/B student leaning more towards the A. wow dental school is TOUGH! Oh yeah forgot to mention an 86 in oral medicine is still a C.

i do love going to clinic though. it's the break from the day.

Once you hit summer of 3rd year you are in the clear. Don't sweat Hop and his ridiculous implant course.

I agree with all the other posters. Keep your head up, life changes once you hit the clinic. You'll still have stress, but it'll be vastly different from what you're going through right now.

And, you can always take a look at the predental forum and all those guests who have received nothing but rejection letters and wish they could be in your shoes...

ItsGavinC said:
And, you can always take a look at the predental forum and all those guests who have received nothing but rejection letters and wish they could be in your shoes...
LOL. Maybe that's why I'm on this forum so much. LOL!!!

On another note, it's only been the first quarter to me, and it isn't so bad thus far since we have a P/NP system. So the grade competition isn't exactly there (okay there's Exceptional P, but I'm not near it, so that's not an issue for me). One thing that do bother me is all the "group psychosis" that takes place. It's like everyone are studying, and everyone are nervous that everyone else are studying. It's like this subtle competitive energy that produces so much anxiety. It's like everyone has to study together, otherwise we won't do well, or something. It's so anxious. But I just say F that and study and F how well or poorly other people are doing, and just focus on what I need to know, what I don't know, and what I want to know. F all the anxiety that takes place, and I'm going to go take a run, eat a hearty dinner, and study the **** I'm suppose to be studying.

I didn't work for years to be accepted to a dental school so I can tingle and d*ck around.

(excuse my dirty mouth)