venting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I told my boyfriend that I'm studying to take the MCAT because I want to be a podiatrist. He went home and told his parents and then they made fun of me for it. It makes me so mad because when I had told his mom before she responded ewww why would you want to do that. Does anyone else ever have to deal with issues like this and if so what do you say to them?

Members don't see this ad.

People ask me all the time why I want to work with nasty feet all day.

But, like I posted in another thread somewhere around here, there are far worse things I could be examining.

A. Proctology
B. Urology

When people do that to me I tell them that I was born to do 2 things - (I know this is cheesy, but grin and bear it) - they are:

A. To help people
B. To be a surgeon

It doesn't matter to me how I accomplish part A. But with podiatry's new 3-year residencies, I'll get part B & A together! Like a happy family. (See family schematic below)

The A*$ Family
:) - Lazy
:oops: - Dumb
:D - Kiss
:confused: - Jack

So I told my boyfriend that I'm studying to take the MCAT because I want to be a podiatrist. He went home and told his parents and then they made fun of me for it. It makes me so mad because when I had told his mom before she responded ewww why would you want to do that. Does anyone else ever have to deal with issues like this and if so what do you say to them?

i once worked with one of the brightest male nurses i met. i asked him if his friends or family make fun of him for being a nurse (he was an ICU nurse studying to become a nurse anesthetist). he simply replied w/o hesitating, "they can laugh all they want. i'll be the one laughing bringing in the big money with a secure job".
so,
see if they're laughing when you show them your bling bling in the future and your own practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. So what if they tease you? When you're:

1) driving an awesome car (people who make fun of you for shallow reasons will probably notice material goods first)
2) using a bone saw in an O.R.
3) going home at 5 o'clock to your fabulous family
4) having time to eat/sleep/see sunlight

you won't even care what they say and hopefully they'll finally shut up.

And as far as the prestige goes, look up "Vision 2015". I'm not well versed enough to explain it, but I think podiatry is heading in the right direction and now is a GREAT time to get into the field.

And I totally agree with the above post. No matter what your medical specialty, you have to specialize in one body part/system, and so why not feet? There are definitely worse fields (lol, oh proctology).

So do what you want, and if that is podiatry, ignore the nay-sayers. Your patients will thank you.

I was called to the ER last weekend at 3:30AM for an open ankle fracture. I did a complete history and physical, reduced and flushed the open fracture, splinted it, and promptly took the patient to the operating room.

Funny...I don't remember anybody laughing.:)

I want to know why you get mad. It's like my friends telling me the Lakers suck. I know they don't, they are just jealous or uninformed. Same goes with Podiatry. If you know you want to be a Podiatrist and know it is right for you, then there is no reason to get mad. Dust your shoulders off.

yea, people got down on me for being a met fan until we got johan santana..lol.

anyway people say stupid things. if i went and told my family my girlfriend wanted to be a pod and they laughed, id tell them they wont be laughing when we are married and shes supporting my sorry a--.

you can be mad, but if this is what you want to do, be secure and shrug it off.

You bf is a douche, what is he doing? going to business school :laugh: bestbuy awaits his application.

You bf is a douche, what is he doing? going to business school :laugh: bestbuy awaits his application.

Dude, you are the rudest guy on here with the biggest chip on your shoulder... and you are ONLY going to be a DO. What makes you so special? Why not keep the stupid comments to yourself and only post the useful ones. Are you upset that your whole life will be spent answering the question "what is a DO?"

Dude, you are the rudest guy on here with the biggest chip on your shoulder... and you are ONLY going to be a DO. What makes you so special? Why not keep the stupid comments to yourself and only post the useful ones. Are you upset that your whole life will be spent answering the question "what is a DO?"

I actually thought his joke was pretty funny....I don't think he was being "rude" at all.

I actually thought his joke was pretty funny....I don't think he was being "rude" at all.

I know haha. Perhaps "douchebag" would have been more appropriate though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, you should just ignore these people that laugh or just joke around with them. You know that you are making a difference in this world. All medical specialties are needed. My friend is a 3rd year med student who wants to go into urology, yes we joke with each other about whats the grosser part but we both know we are doing something we love for the well-being of the patients.

I work at a podiatrist office and today I saw a 94 year old woman who was so grateful she was almost in tears for the doctor performing routine nail care. I'm sure down the road when your bf's mom needs footcare (and chances are she will), she will be thanking you became a podiatrist.

Was this posted by the same person who can't seem to get into dental school? Interesting...

Was this posted by the same person who can't seem to get into dental school? Interesting...

Yes, but if you look at the stats, it is easier to get into a DO program than a DDS program. DO average as of late is just below 3.5, DDS is slightly over a 3.5. Many MD rejectees turn to DDS rather than DO so they can be top of their game. A respect thing. It's sad but true. DO stats are coming up a little bit, but dental is still more competitive. Check the stats yourself. I never applied nor was I rejected from a DO medical school.

My sister is graduated dental school. Tough stuff, wish i coulda taken the challenge. Im sure DPM school is really hard too.

Well the DO average may be a bit lower than the dentistry average, but according to posts you put on the "Giving up Dentistry" thread, your GPA is lower than both. You shouldn't think it's okay to come to a podiatry forum and smack talk other professions. While we aren't DOs or pre-DOs, many of us have DO friends, or at least a little respect. You should try getting some too :)

Well the DO average may be a bit lower than the dentistry average, but according to posts you put on the "Giving up Dentistry" thread, your GPA is lower than both. You shouldn't think it's okay to come to a podiatry forum and smack talk other professions. While we aren't DOs or pre-DOs, many of us have DO friends, or at least a little respect. You should try getting some too :)

You are right. I'm sorry. I guess I'm frustrated about the process and disappointed in myself and I'm taking it out on everyone.

You are right. I'm sorry. I guess I'm frustrated about the process and disappointed in myself and I'm taking it out on everyone.

Chill out!......Go to a bar and let some of your fustration/stress out.:thumbup:

What about PA school?

Nuring school, then becoming a CRNA?

there are lots of options out there for medical professions.

What about PA school?

Nuring school, then becoming a CRNA?

there are lots of options out there for medical professions.

:laugh: All of these threads are turning into "Let's find OMFSWanna a career."

No offense OMFS. :) I hope you can find your niche.

Only a DO? I applied to med school once (you hear that threepeat reject). I also am only doing what I want to do in life and will probably get the specialty I want. And when they are paying me $100+ an hour you can ask me any question you want and Ill answer it with a big F***ing smile.

Yes, but if you look at the stats, it is easier to get into a DO program than a DDS program. DO average as of late is just below 3.5, DDS is slightly over a 3.5. Many MD rejectees turn to DDS rather than DO so they can be top of their game. A respect thing. It's sad but true. DO stats are coming up a little bit, but dental is still more competitive. Check the stats yourself. I never applied nor was I rejected from a DO medical school.

There are some DO schools with <3.5 GPA, but mine is 3.65 and we take the MCAT big F***ing difference then the DAT. And I doubt nowadays that MD rejects go into DDS, its not even close to the same field, but you wouldnt know that because your just as big as a douche(bag) as the OP's BF. Maybe thats what the ADCOM's saw in you?

Fine Dr. of Osteopathic medicine is fine if you want to practice in the US where it is accepted. If you don't want to go to europe or sumpthin' because they don't take the degree. No problem. When I mentioned GPA I was talking bout averages. Many dent schools have greater than 3.6 GPAs as well. Probably almost half of them considering the AVERAGE was over 3.5. I know of about 10 with greater than a 3.7 average. I don't know any DOs but your post isn't improving my impression of you alls.

why is everyone taking cheap shots?

maturity and tact go a long way... :thumbup:

This thread ended at post 18! Lets shut the hell up already and not turn this into a DO/DDS battle, this is pathetic.

Once again you dont know what you are talking about.
I respect you but feel this should be known to all DOs
http://www.valuemd.com/relaxing-lou...s-where-us-trained-osteopaths-recognized.html

Only US MDs, not DOs can practice in France, Ireland, Norway, Scotland, Spain, Switzerland ... and other countries like Italy you can or it is limited but it is almost impossible to gain a license. Just good to know, not arguing with you.

This will be my last post in this forum

Every year more countries grant us rights, currently I only speak english, and the money is in America so why leave? If I ever wanted to do a medical mission i'll be ok because nobody turns down free healthcare. Besides this is the stupidist arguement ever regarding our field. If I went into engineering at xxxx school I wouldnt think to myself if my degree is accepted in france or any other country beside the USA. So keep trying to bring me or my profession (which is medicine by the way) down, because in 2 months ill be starting second year and your be turning in your application to DoucheMart for a summer job...good luck.

How did this thread get so out of hand? Are we not all on our way to becoming professionals? I made a comment in this forum the other day completely joking about a similar topic comparing MD to DO and I unintentionally offended people in here. I say it joking because I have had to deal with that "dentists are just med school drop outs" so many times that it doesn't even phase me, nor do I care... never did. For this one, Toohotinvegas is right, dentistry and medicine are similar in some ways yet very different in many other ways. I don't know of anyone in my dental class that even applied to medical school, nor do I know many med students that applied to dental school. Statistics are getting closer between med and dent and who the heck cares?! Let's be honest. We are ALL going to be professionals. You can be a crappy MD, DO, DDS, DPM etc or you can be an EXCELLENT MD, DO, DDS, DPM. If you go for a doctorate degree, you are intelligent PERIOD! It is likely that with enough work anyone that has been accepted to a professional program could likely get into the others if they wanted it bad enough. Research scientists have the highest average IQ (for what that is worth). Live happy...doing what YOU love!

I think the stuff that toohotinvegas posts is funny, (i.e. "Meds that footies can prescribe: tinactin and lamisil...with the response to the glorified chiropractors! :laugh:)

Even if he meant it in a derogatory way, which I don't take it to be, you've got to have a bit of laugh!

That being said...how... in the name of all that is holy, did a flame war break out between D.O.'s and D.D.S's in a podiatry thread? :rolleyes:

I think the stuff that toohotinvegas posts is funny, (i.e. "Meds that footies can prescribe: tinactin and lamisil...with the response to the glorified chiropractors! :laugh:)

Even if he meant it in a derogatory way, which I don't take it to be, you've got to have a bit of laugh!

I just like to start a little fun, but I do it here where you guys will see, not in another forum behind your back (interent back, anyway). I've stuck up for yall in a couple of threads. And normally enjoy the lectures we get from our dpms more so then the OMM faculty. What blows my mind is where this 3x failure predent (or expredent now?) thinks he has any say in this conversation is beyond me.