Vents on Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cremasteric

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who already took Step 2 had any vent questions on their exam? I haven't done any ICU rotations and haven't really come across any vent sections in my study books, but I have had several questions on UW (which I have NO idea how to answer, but often seem to guess the correct one). If you have seen vent questions on your exam, what's the best resource to study them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just took Step 2 last week (6/27). I had about 5-6 ICU questions (with at least 2 of them specifically asking how to adjust vent settings, the rest pertaining to the different forms of shock). Don't know if I got any of the vent questions right. I suppose you could read the critical care section of NMS Surgery/Medicine for help. Otherwise I'd just focus on shock (characteristic changes in CO, PCWP, SVR, etc.). Its all luck of the draw and like the previous poster you could end up with zero vent questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must have had a similar exam to the above poster 7/14. I had 4-5 ICU patients where they gave the scenario and pt demographics, maybe a cxr, some ABGs and resp rates, and asked you what you should do (increase/decrease tidal volume, inc/dec rate, chest tube, vq scan etc etc) or they would give the SVR, CO, HR, BP heart lung exam and ask what kind of shock they were likely in

I found it to be less about vent settings and more about trying to figure out what is the dx and next appropriate managment of someone who has an acute cardiorespiratory decompensation

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the input so far! I appreciate it...I hope the questions on UW will be enough for me to figure out what I need to know for these few questions.