Verbal Ability help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Commodore43

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been studying the PCAT for about a month now, but it seems nothing I do will improve my verbal ability scores. I've been practicing sentence completions and learning new words, but it just does not seem to work. Any suggestions?
 
From my experience, verbal ability is more of the connections in the analogies than explicitly knowing vocab words. While having a good vocab will certainly help, I didn't find many challenging words in the verbal ability section for june 20th. I know for a fact kaplan did NOT focus on this at all. The furthest their connection practice went was with opposites or similars.
I got 95% in verbal ability, and was not expecting that after seeing the verbal.
 
I just received my June PCAT results and was pleased to know that I got 99 on the verbal section. GRE verbal practice tests helped a lot. You can easily google "GRE verbal" and find a lot of practice questions. It was an over-kill but definitely paid off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just received my June PCAT results and was pleased to know that I got 99 on the verbal section. GRE verbal practice tests helped a lot. You can easily google "GRE verbal" and find a lot of practice questions. It was an over-kill but definitely paid off.

Did you buy a GRE verbal prep book? I have the Barron's Wordfest, which is really aimed for the GRE, but it does teach very many words which I think are likely to be on the exam. It also teaches the roots, which I think will be very helpful. If you have bought any books or practice tests, I would like to know what you got. Thanks!

Also, I obtained a copy of the Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning. Does anyone know if this will help me greatly? I want a reading comprehension workout book that will help me on the PCAT. Thanks!
 
The VR stuff on the MCAT is very similar to the PCAT reading section so I'd say you're in good hands if you're using Examkrackers. The style is pretty much the same.
 
I'm strongly of the opinion that a great deal of the PCAT is knowing how the questions are asked. While I did study some vocab (I believe Kaplan provides a "top 200" word list) I found it most helpful to identify how the questions were formatted. Again, I used Kaplan, and they provided approaches for predicting what should go into the blanks of sentence completions as well as ways to identify the kind of analogy. I am sure other books provide similar information. I did not know many of the words on the PCAT, but scored very well. I spent more time on practice questions than I did on learning vocab, by far.