Verbal Ability October test

Started by bazuka
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bazuka

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Need helpppppppppp

I am so confused. I am looking at this Kaplans course book which throws 1600 words and I am confused whether if I should memorize them. Personally I do not think 2 months are enough to memorize 1600 words.

On the other hand Dr. Collins only gives you much condensed list which i think is manageable in 3 weeks or so.

Is it better just to memorize roots/prefixes or is it just better to memorize 1600 words!!!!!!!!!😱😱😱

Any suggestions?
 
Memorizing the roots is infinitely more useful than memorizing a word list, I have no idea why Kaplan thinks including one is of any use at all. If you're lucky, you might see 10 words out of the 1600 you study in October on the test.

Memorizing words is not how you succeed in this section, it's about deducing the relationship between the words you don't know and the words you know, and using some linguistics skills like roots to try and solidify your answers.
 
I memorized a serious amount of words for the GRE when I took it years ago. Their word list was 3500 and I probably knew half of them when I started. I kept postponing the exam though so I ended up studying these words over and over for months. It really did help and lots of the words entered my regular vocabulary. Now I have a great vocabulary which is a real plus in life because I hate it when I don't know what a word means.

That said, the PCAT is a different exam than the GRE. With all the chem, math, and bio that is much easier to study for, you can pick up more points by studying those subjects than you can memorizing thousands of words. Unless you are going to get 99s in math, chem and bio, I'd spend that time elsewhere.