Verbal Ability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

firstgeneration

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any suggestion where I can find a easier way to get pass this??? where can I find a list of words?
 
Since Harcourt doesn't even release past exams aside from the abbreviated practice exam, and word list you get from any test-prep company is liable for inaccuracy. Just keep that in mind when I make my suggestions.🙂

Aside from your typical test-prep book, GRE word lists can help if you don't dwell on the rare words that probably won't be on the PCAT. If you can get your hands on an old, official College Board SAT prep book (the one that came out before the SAT changes), then that book also provides good practice too.

You can learn some Greek and Latin roots to help piece together words you may not have encountered as a whole word.
 
I second learning roots, prefixes, and suffixes-they will help you out the most. However, if English isn't your first language, I would also suggest leisure reading-time, nytimes, and reader's digest (esp. do the increase your word power sections); magazines like those will help you with vocab and reading. It will help you read into definitions of words, as well as aid you in your reading comprehension. I know leisure reading is hard to fit in, especially with classes (midterms are coming up for us). But I would suggest going to a bookstore on a weekend, sitting in the coffee shop and reading some current events magazine. If you do this enough, you will be surprised how easy word definitions are (for some, its easier to associate the words with a sentence than an actual meaning) and how quickly you can read. I'm not much of a TV person and would rather read, and I think that helped me a lot with my verbal and reading (I did very well in both sections). Good luck with your studying!