verbal advice for my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echoyjeff222

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been doing practice passages from TPR and I am getting very annoyed. I get basically 1-2 wrong per passage, but the ones I get wrong are ones that I've already narrowed down to 50/50. I also get hung up on one or two questions which sucks up a lot of time. Does anyone have some tips to get away from these bad habits? It's really frustrating because I understand the passage, but I keep getting tripped up on one or two questions.

Members don't see this ad.

If it were me, I would:

1. Try to figure out why the wrong answers are wrong and why the right answers are right. Hopefully there's a pattern. A tutor could help you find the pattern if it's not apparent to you.

2. I would do some AAMC VR passages to see if this same pattern exists with AAMC passages. AAMC has verbal reasoning passages in their Guide to the MCAT book so you won't have to waste a test or self-assessment to work a few passages.

3. I would make sure that this problem is NOT specific to TPR. Most (non-AAMC) test prep companies fail to make 3 answers objectively and nearly inarguably wrong. AAMC, in contrast, has done a pretty good job of that.

You have to find a pattern in those errors and follow your reasoning to the source of the problem. Misread answer > misread question > misread passage. If you are narrowing it down to two answers and the correct answer is always in those last two, you may be reading the passage well enough but using personal logic to answer rather than what you read. When you do verbal look at it as all the answers are on the left in the passage and I am in the middle strictly to transfer those answers to the questions on the right. Don't let your mind do anything except for apply what was read to the answers because as soon as you start using personal logic to answer rather than the words of the author, you begin to fall for trap questions. The verbal section is designed to snare the tester who chooses the reasonable, comfortable answer rather than the risky one that doesn't contradict the author. Try doing a few passages where you only choose answers that completely agree with/do not in any way contradict the author's words no matter how uncomfortable they make you feel. With the timing issue, you have to train yourself to not get hung up on questions like that. Set a strict amount of time per question and if you know youre about to go over then eliminate all you can, go with your gut, and move forward. Even if you get it wrong it is not worth risking getting your test cut short and missing a few easy answers at the end.