Verbal and Reading Comprehension Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nas2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody found any verbal or reading comprehension books they used to be extremely helpful. If not books maybe strategies or something to that sort too. I just got back my Pcat scores and went down in both categories. Any input would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I didn't do too well in verbal either (65) but my reading comprehension was fairly good (89). Someone on here said he/she studied the GRE words so that's what I did ... I memorized over 700 words and with my luck, only 2 from that list showed up on the test -- and I'll add further that they showed up only as choices and not questions. :( It's a crapshoot because many of the words that I studied showed up on all the PCAT study books but only 2 from the actual test.

As for the reading comprehension, there's not anything helpful I can provide for you other than to go through bunch of different PCAT study books. Make sure you do Harcourt's practice because I thought this helped the most but keep in mind that from the trends that I noticed from the practice exams, it doesn't take many wrong answers in the RC for your score to plummet.

Just before an exam is too late to be brushing up on verbal skills, because those are skills you build up over time. What I would recommend for you to do is practice, practice, practice. If you can get your hands on MCAT verbal books, use them.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Yeah i know thats exactly why it is making me so mad because I cant really do anything huge to help those scores out. My whole life I have struggled on these two sections. But yeah ill check out some of those MCAT books. I have a GRE reading comp book so im gonna look at that alot too. I just hope the only reason I dont get in is because of these two sections :(

I studied a little off the MCAT books and I thought the RC sections were big time overkill for the PCAT. I suppose it's what you get out of it but I thought it was a waste of time.