Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Verbal Edge???

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by riley, Jul 13, 2002.

1. riley

riley Junior Member

Hey there!

Has anyone taken kaplans Verbal Edge? How helpful is it?

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker

Itt goud and hilp mee to alot much to bee goud reeder and spelor too much.

4. riley

riley Junior Member

Mudd,

Did you take the class or know someone who did, or are you just being sarcastic

5. lady bug

If it gives you more practice materials, it can't hurt right......the more you practice verbal, the better you'll get at it. Although last time I checked the price for that class, it was a better deal to just buy the regular kaplan mcat prep class. You might want to get some insight on the difficulty level of the verbal material they provide with the 'verbal edge' and how much it resembles the actual mcat verbal.

6. riley

riley Junior Member

Thanks for the advice!

7. I took Kaplan last semester. Results were not that great but thats just me.

Anyway my opinion is that the Kaplan method is to complex. They tell you to map the passage and keep an eye out for key words. I also believe they said to make an outline of each passage (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong) Well by doing that I tended to lose track of the main idea. Because I was to concerned about looking for keywords or phrases and trying to get an idea of where some of the info was in the passage. Yeah I knew where alot of the info could be found in the passage but only a handful of questions had answers that could be found in the passage. For example there were alot of "what would the author say," "which of the following is implied," and my personel fav "which one of these would most weaken the authors main point" Now these questions would be simple if I knew the main idea which I almost never did with Kaplans method.

I am currently using the EK method. Works well, I was able to boost my verbal 3 pts (7 to 10). You may want to check out their verbal book it's only $16 I beleive. Or you could buy both books and see which method works better for you.

8. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker

Riley:

Sorry, but it was too tempting. Seriously, I agree with the sentiment of the thread. It's too much money for such a course. If they really have some secret methods, wouldn't they be using them in their regular program?

For the money you'll spend on the course, you could buy the EK book, the Berkeley Review book, sme used exams, and hire a law student to privately tutor you verbal skills for a few hours.

9. riley

riley Junior Member

danswu, Mudd

Thanks for the sincere advice, I appreciate!

danswu, does EK have more than 1 book for verbal, if so which one are you using?

Mudd, dont worry about it, I was just stressed out and trying to get clarification. peace

10. Actually EK has two books now. One is the verbal + math book which is what I'm currently using. It contains the actual lessons and strategy. Ir costs about $16

The other is the 101 passage book that contains nothing but passages and explanations. I think this one is about $40. I haven't tried it yet. But I may order it in a couple of weeks so I can boost my score further.

11. Tweetie_bird

a friend of mine at Kaplan took it twice and Verbal edge once. She told me that for the extra 600 bucks, it wasn't worth the time. I asked her to share the info she learned in class with me, and I didn't hear anything significantly different in Verbal Edge from what was taught in our class. Atleast, that's how it was for OUR Kaplan Center. Things may vary depending on each center.

I think there are 9 classes total (or is it 6??) with one extra practise book for the 600 bucks you pay. I sat in on one of them, because a prof was nice to me. :) I liked what I saw, although I don't think it's worth THAT much money....just my opinion.

Then again, I ended up with a 7 on my verbal, so perhaps a good Verbal Edge class would have helped. :confused:

Tweetie

12. riley

riley Junior Member

Tweetie,

Thanks for the info! This class has only 4 sessions, so I dont think I can afford to pay that much for only 4 classes, I think I'm going to keep working on the passages I have!

Thanks!