Verbal...reading comprehension class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, i feel like i am still struggling with VR...like most of us.
I have finally made it to a 9 on a practice,,,but i feel like it was out of the blue to even score at that. Am constantly amazed at those who hit 11-13.

Question: If i feel like my reading comprehension is lagging, can i supplement EK101, TRPH verbal and AAMC (in the future) with a reading comprehension class? Will that class be worth it?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

So, i feel like i am still struggling with VR...like most of us.
I have finally made it to a 9 on a practice,,,but i feel like it was out of the blue to even score at that. Am constantly amazed at those who hit 11-13.

Question: If i feel like my reading comprehension is lagging, can i supplement EK101, TRPH verbal and AAMC (in the future) with a reading comprehension class? Will that class be worth it?

Thanks guys.

I really wish I could answer your question. I'm struggling with VR too. So many people are. Wondering we should all do a SDN VR thread. Then we could all work on the same passages and explain every single question and passage until most of us are doing better.

To preface: I improved my VR score by 4 points on my retake and was recently accepted. I took a speed reading/reading comprehension class, and IMO, it didn't help me a bit with the MCAT. The MCAT tests your ability to pick out the most important information at each point and the passage and tie that to the entire paragraph all the while keeping in mind the arguments that are at hand. It was so hard for me to do because of the time limit, but try to refresh yourself after each passage and take a huge step back, thinking, okay, why is the reason this passage was written. In every paragraph there is an argument. If you can see and understand the arguments, you will do MUCH better. This only comes from practice. I read every passage (practice, timed, online practice tests) from TPR verbal book and I think that truly helped me the most. I used their method, paying most attention to the arguments and views in each paragraph. Its the practice that will help you. Your scores may not go up in a day, a week, or even a month. It probably took 2/2.5 months for me to become fully comfortable with understanding any passage.

Last thing to pay attention to: your answer choices. More times than not, wrong answers will be too specific or too generalized for the passage at hand. From the passage, don't jump to conclusions and alter an answer to fit the passage - that's the wrong answer! Dont choose an answer too specific or too general. Again, practice, practice, practice. I recommend TPR followed by EK. There are some interesting approaches here on wikipremed (http://www.wikipremed.com/mcat_verbal_reasoning.php). Best of luck!!