Verbal Reasoning most similar to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Youknowgo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
after taking alot of verbal reasoning practice tests from different books (BR, Kaplan, and EK), i've been noticing that the styles of questions are all very different for each company.

For BR i noticed heavy focus on application, main idea, and inference questions

whereas for EK its strictly (mostly all) retrieval questions.

I was wondering which one the MCAT is more similar to? I've been practicing EK more because of its popularity but as I take them, I'm beginning to fear that the skills im developing for strictly retrieval will not be what I really need for the MCAT?
(BTW im wondering this because I found that it's relatively easy for me to improve on EK verbal because I learned to adapt to their retrieval questions types [went from an 8 to 9 to 10 to 12 on the first four tests] whereas for Berkeley Review, I have extreme difficulty with it and don't show much improvement from consecutive tests)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the best MCAT verbal reasoning practice comes from the AAMC FLs. Other than the AAMC FLs, I don't think any one source (BR, EK, etc) is better than another. Just as you said, each source has different styles, and I think the real MCAT is probably a blend of all of them. I can't mention specifics about my MCAT, but I can confidently say that the VR sections on the AAMC FLs are the best representation of the actual MCAT VR section.