Verbal Reasoning.. Recognizing Trends in the Questions?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneMCATAway

MDog 2K+
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed any specific trends in the questions for VR and what to look for? I dont remember who posted this but for example, if the question asks "according to the passage" you can find the answer stated in the passage and when it says "based on the passage" you would need to infer the answer!!

If you have noticed any other similar trends would you please post it for those of us struggling with VR and also if you have specific strategies for tackling different types of passages I would really appreciate it, Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing special comes to mind. I simply used the main idea and the author's intent. Besides, it's a bad idea to look for the answers in the passage. That's usually a major time waster. Only refer back to the passage once you have a VERY firm handle on your timing. Even then, it's still not worth it except when you know the EXACT location of the answer.

Now that I think about it, don't refer back to the passage ever. I think some people might read the above and think, "well I'm the exception to the rule, so I can refer back to the passage."

Have you guys noticed any specific trends in the questions for VR and what to look for? I dont remember who posted this but for example, if the question asks "according to the passage" you can find the answer stated in the passage and when it says "based on the passage" you would need to infer the answer!!

If you have noticed any other similar trends would you please post it for those of us struggling with VR and also if you have specific strategies for tackling different types of passages I would really appreciate it, Thanks =)

Sometimes they are interchangable though especially if you are taking an EK VR test. When they say "Based on the passage", EK usually wants you to milk it from the passage directly. If you infer, it will cost you a point. The AAMC may be less murky in how they use those phrases. Thanks for the tip.