Verbal Strategy Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I talked to a friend who took the MCAT and did pretty well and he advised me to read the questions for verbal FIRST and then the passage to try to improve my verbal score of 6. I was wondering if people have found this useful or not? I will try it sometime this week and let you know what I think, but just wanted to see what others thought and if they have used this strategy?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So I talked to a friend who took the MCAT and did pretty well and he advised me to read the questions for verbal FIRST and then the passage to try to improve my verbal score of 6. I was wondering if people have found this useful or not? I will try it sometime this week and let you know what I think, but just wanted to see what others thought and if they have used this strategy?

Thank you!

personally I don't like it.

I took the real MCAT 5 times and my VR (a 6) never improved, it is not because I didn't practice enough or using the wrong strategy (I probably did about 40+ full VR sections). It is because I didn't know why I was getting low scores. I found out that I have a reading problem called reading progression, which is moving eyes ahead of the text that I wanted to read. And because my eyes moved ahead I didn't get what I was trying to read. This was time consuming because I didn't get what I was trying to read and had to go back to the passage more often when I answered questions. Due to this redundant process and luck of confidence, I haven't had enough time to finish the section.

I suggest you analyze why you received lower score on the VR and focus on correcting your reading problem.