Verbal tactics for non-native speakers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytoechondriac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've hit a pleateau with my verbal score... I just cannot get it to go past 10. I must have done every single EK, TPR, Kaplan verbal workbook already... Already did the EK 101 Verbal passages... two times each, every passage. I read through all the SDN tactics posted in the sticky, tried them all, and I still CANNOT get it to rise. I don't know what more I can do. I lie awake at night mapping passages in my head.

Are there any non-native speakers of English who kicked butt on the verbal section, who can give me some helpful tips??

My 1st language is an East Asian language.... but I'll take tips from Spanish people, German people, purple people... I don't care. Just anything, any useful tip at all!!

HELP... PLEAsssse!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i think you should take out a piece of paper
write down YOUR strategy.
if youve tried other strategies, you probably know what works best for you
do a couple passsages timed with the strategy on the paper
before you grade it, think about what you think may have worked and may not have worked
then grade it
then change the strategies that worked and keep the ones that dont
its worth a try

Well what's your average score (I know you said you can't break a 10, but are you consistently getting 10s?) and how are you analyzing your VR post test?

Well what's your average score (I know you said you can't break a 10, but are you consistently getting 10s?) and how are you analyzing your VR post test?

Always a 10. 10 on the AAMC CBT 10, 10 on the AAMC 9R, 10 on the AAMC CBT 3. I'm taking the July 18th, and I have a month left, and I'd hate to see my verbal go static.... I mean, it's just not enough for me. I don't need a 15, but I'd like to see it go up a couple points. Is that even possible, given I have only a month left?

I always go back and see why I got the answers wrong-- and most of them are "inference" questions. For example, I have a lot of trouble with "an important contrast made in the passage is?" vs "an important comparison made in the passage is?" questions. What is the difference between a comparison and a contrast? I know that a comparison is when you list similarities and contasts are when you list differences, but that sort of technical, cluncky working knowledge of some of the English words is holding me back. Questions that require a general native speaker's intution, I think. I mean, I sit there and look these words up on the dictionary, but it still doesn't help me.

I also understand about 95% of the vocabulary, so that's not what's hindering me either. In general, I think I can read the passage, get the general gist, but the questions are what is messing me up.