Verbal - To Skim or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone actually just read the first and last paragraphs, and skim the rest? whenever i try it, it takes more time to answer the questions than just reading it the first time...plus i start to panic.

also, does anyone NOT use a watch during the test to monitor their time progress? that also stresses me out

Members don't see this ad.

i would not skim it...but rather read it as fast as i can without losing comprehension.

Don't skim. Read every word and if you find your mind wandering go back to the last thing you understood and read on. Reading the passages and answering the questions is much easier if you understand every word in the passage. I have not made below a 13 on the verbal on any of the practice tests and I attribute that to making sure I understand every word. Also, if you read regularly helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by hamjaso
Don't skim. Read every word and if you find your mind wandering go back to the last thing you understood and read on. Reading the passages and answering the questions is much easier if you understand every word in the passage. I have not made below a 13 on the verbal on any of the practice tests and I attribute that to making sure I understand every word. Also, if you read regularly helps.

Holy cow. I finally cracked the verbal section. 5 wrong on AAMC V, 6 wrong on VI. This is coming from a guy who averaged 20 wrong on I-III. IF I CAN DO IT, AUCH K?NNEN SIE

Originally posted by jhk43
Holy cow. I finally cracked the verbal section. 5 wrong on AAMC V, 6 wrong on VI.

Good job, Verbal is also my strength. Did you time yourself when taking the AAMC tests? Also, now that you have taken the aamc tests what are you planning on using to practice verbal? I scored a 13-15 on aamc IV but am saving my other aamc tests and am somewhat afraid to take TPR/Kaplan/etc's VR practice tests because SDN'ers have said they are different than the real MCAT.

Originally posted by Cerberus
Good job, Verbal is also my strength. Did you time yourself when taking the AAMC tests? Also, now that you have taken the aamc tests what are you planning on using to practice verbal? I scored a 13-15 on aamc IV but am saving my other aamc tests and am somewhat afraid to take TPR/Kaplan/etc's VR practice tests because SDN'ers have said they are different than the real MCAT.

I have the TPR hyperlearning workbook, as well as some other sample tests. I have AAMC IV left, which i'll save for last.

yeah, I timed myself, but i forced myself not to look back at the clock, although i took a few peeks. I noticed i lost steam whenever i looked at the time.

Non AAMC stuff doesnt seem that different to me, esp from TPR. cant comment on Kaplan.

Originally posted by jhk43
I have the TPR hyperlearning workbook, as well as some other sample tests. I have AAMC IV left, which i'll save for last.

yeah, I timed myself, but i forced myself not to look back at the clock, although i took a few peeks. I noticed i lost steam whenever i looked at the time.

Non AAMC stuff doesnt seem that different to me, esp from TPR. cant comment on Kaplan.

EK reccomends looking at the clock when you have finished half of the passages, I like this approach, though personally cant keep from checking it was more often.

Originally posted by Cerberus
EK reccomends looking at the clock when you have finished half of the passages, I like this approach, though personally cant keep from checking it was more often.

Thats a good barometer. Sounds like you're all good though. Me, i want to make sure i stay crisp til april. i cant believe how little it took to go from 7-->11/12. once I embraced EK, viola

Didn't TPR get in trouble for having people spy on the MCAT? Seems like their practice tests should be pretty dead on.