• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

  • How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

    In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

jhk43

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
305
0
Status (Visible)
does anyone actually just read the first and last paragraphs, and skim the rest? whenever i try it, it takes more time to answer the questions than just reading it the first time...plus i start to panic.

also, does anyone NOT use a watch during the test to monitor their time progress? that also stresses me out
 

Marvin O'Connor

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2004
105
0
Status (Visible)
Don't skim. Read every word and if you find your mind wandering go back to the last thing you understood and read on. Reading the passages and answering the questions is much easier if you understand every word in the passage. I have not made below a 13 on the verbal on any of the practice tests and I attribute that to making sure I understand every word. Also, if you read regularly helps.
 
About the Ads

jhk43

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
305
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by hamjaso
Don't skim. Read every word and if you find your mind wandering go back to the last thing you understood and read on. Reading the passages and answering the questions is much easier if you understand every word in the passage. I have not made below a 13 on the verbal on any of the practice tests and I attribute that to making sure I understand every word. Also, if you read regularly helps.

Holy cow. I finally cracked the verbal section. 5 wrong on AAMC V, 6 wrong on VI. This is coming from a guy who averaged 20 wrong on I-III. IF I CAN DO IT, AUCH K?NNEN SIE
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by jhk43
Holy cow. I finally cracked the verbal section. 5 wrong on AAMC V, 6 wrong on VI.

Good job, Verbal is also my strength. Did you time yourself when taking the AAMC tests? Also, now that you have taken the aamc tests what are you planning on using to practice verbal? I scored a 13-15 on aamc IV but am saving my other aamc tests and am somewhat afraid to take TPR/Kaplan/etc's VR practice tests because SDN'ers have said they are different than the real MCAT.
 

jhk43

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
305
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Cerberus
Good job, Verbal is also my strength. Did you time yourself when taking the AAMC tests? Also, now that you have taken the aamc tests what are you planning on using to practice verbal? I scored a 13-15 on aamc IV but am saving my other aamc tests and am somewhat afraid to take TPR/Kaplan/etc's VR practice tests because SDN'ers have said they are different than the real MCAT.


I have the TPR hyperlearning workbook, as well as some other sample tests. I have AAMC IV left, which i'll save for last.

yeah, I timed myself, but i forced myself not to look back at the clock, although i took a few peeks. I noticed i lost steam whenever i looked at the time.

Non AAMC stuff doesnt seem that different to me, esp from TPR. cant comment on Kaplan.
 

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
15,128
185
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by jhk43
I have the TPR hyperlearning workbook, as well as some other sample tests. I have AAMC IV left, which i'll save for last.

yeah, I timed myself, but i forced myself not to look back at the clock, although i took a few peeks. I noticed i lost steam whenever i looked at the time.

Non AAMC stuff doesnt seem that different to me, esp from TPR. cant comment on Kaplan.

EK reccomends looking at the clock when you have finished half of the passages, I like this approach, though personally cant keep from checking it was more often.
 

jhk43

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
305
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Cerberus
EK reccomends looking at the clock when you have finished half of the passages, I like this approach, though personally cant keep from checking it was more often.

Thats a good barometer. Sounds like you're all good though. Me, i want to make sure i stay crisp til april. i cant believe how little it took to go from 7-->11/12. once I embraced EK, viola
 
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.