Verbal Trickery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boothorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never been very good at standardized tests. I know my material, but I have a hard time determining a good answer from a bad one. When it comes to verbal I feel as though I am confident with my answers and then find out my answers are wrong. Today I did a practice VR. Kaplan test and only got 25% right. I am worried about this, but I feel as though I am being tricked. I don't like it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have never been very good at standardized tests. I know my material, but I have a hard time determining a good answer from a bad one. When it comes to verbal I feel as though I am confident with my answers and then find out my answers are wrong. Today I did a practice VR. Kaplan test and only got 25% right. I am worried about this, but I feel as though I am being tricked. I don't like it.
Yes...there is reason for concern...however you can improve this. Is English your primary language? Secondly, have you picked up a copy of the EK verbal strategy book and EK 101 passages? Finally, whens your test? I think with a 75% fail rate your falling not only into traps but you are also experiencing reading comprehension problems.....again, whens the test?

Yes it is my primary language, but never minded much for English/Philosophy/Writing. I kind of always struggled on comprehension. I love to read anything science though and catch and a get it real easy, but when it comes to other passages I have a hard time understanding.. I haven't scheduled yet, but my test will be either in January 2010 or summer 2010. I have never been a strong reader, but I don't want this to hold me back from my goals. I will be getting EK 101 VR very soon.

I'm just kind of freaking out..

Yes it is my primary language, but never minded much for English/Philosophy/Writing. I kind of always struggled on comprehension. I love to read anything science though and catch and a get it real easy, but when it comes to passages I have a hard time understanding.. I haven't scheduled yet, but my test will be either in January 2010 or summer 2010. I have never been a strong reader, but I don't want this to hold me back from my goals. I will be getting EK 101 VR very soon.
Good to hear your test isnt soon...You can improve drastically with practice. It just takes work on developing efficient timing, pattern recognition, and developing passage intuition (understanding what you think will be asked)...I'm no pro but study with purpose on verbal and you will improve GL

This was my first VR practice, but 25% is an eye opener. Thanks for the luck and help. I will be practicing as much as possible this semester.